Old UIniversal Remote

If you remember back in the CTC195 days, how the remote was...

Well we got this old Toshiba, maybe a 32A32 ? Also a Direct TV remote which is by RCA. I want to program it for the Toshiba just to work the TV/VIDEO and menus, and I think maybe this will do it.

I searched and searched for the codes, and the method for setting it. I would rather set it rather than search for the right code but I can't even find the instructions for that.

Of course I don't expect an RCA OEM remote to program to other TVs, but a Direct TV one should. Now at their site they have the new ones, which have the instructions in the cable box apparently.

And there were universals sold at the stores shaped the same and didn't come with an RCA TV. Should be the same TV codes no ?

Anyone remember how to work these beasts ?

We can get up to change sources and adjust the picture but the keys on the set are dirty and being the resistive ladder type you press a button and it does pretty much what it damn well pleases.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hello, and if you don't know the 3-4 digit code applicable to your Toshiba, most universal remotes (perhaps your DIRECTV one) have a search mode. The usual procedure is to power on the device to be controlled and then use the remote to step through its stored codes until your device powers off. However, this can be very time consuming. I have a Comcast/Xfinity remote that I use both for the cable box and TV. This device was designed to control multiple devices and there was a list of device codes enclosed with the user manual. The user instructions - that documentation no one reads and often throws out ;-). Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

The dish remote does already work the TV but I would like to be able to get to the TV/VIDEO switching and the menus, mainly the picture menu. The butt ons on the TV operate very erratically.

If worse comes to worse I might have to try giving the tact switches a big douche with cleaner and bang them a bit. That is the only way I know to cle an them and it doesn't always work. The main problem is that there is no sl iding action so the won't take to cleaning like a normal switch. And there are too many types to order new.

So I am hoping the RCA remote has the functions we want.

Reply to
jurb6006

I've got an old "learning" remote that can capture snippets of the IR signal from any remote which can then be replayed later. I bought it before availability of the 'universal' remotes which are pre-programmed with all vendors codes. I think I still have it in a box in the basement somewhere.

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

If your smartphone has the IR transducer hardware, you can easily find an app to turn your smartphone into a 'learning' remote.

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

  1. I do not have a smart phone nor do I want one, nor does anyone in this house.
  2. We do not have the original remote for it to learn from.

I actually have a learning remote kicking around here somewhere, it does me no good.

Reply to
jurb6006

Have you tried ebay? There are several remotes that have 32a32 in their titles. For example:

jfeng

I have nearly a dozen URCs and I've yet to find anything they work.

The one I got from Poundland pretty much does anything.

Reply to
Ian Field