14' RCA TV

Hi. I have a 6 month old RCA Model#14F512T Tru flat screen Tube Tv that has suddenly lost channels 7-44 on cable tv. Auto program just skips over them as does manual programing. The thing only cost 90 bucks to begin with so a repair shop isn't worth it to me. I think it should last a little longer than 6 months though. Lightning may have been an issue as it was in the area( normal storm stuff no direct strikes). I have done circuit board repairs before on pinball machines ( changing components, resistors, diodes,caps, and IC's) but don't know where to start on a TV! I have read that cold solder joints are an issue on the tuner, I have re-flowed solder joints several times, just don't know where the tuner is. or the IC for the tuner sometimes goes bad. Also where is it? I am aware of High Voltage inside of TV and respect it, I work with that every day, as a Lineman. Any insight into this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge! Mike

Reply to
Michael Goertz

throw it away.. if all you paid was 90 bucks, the price for a new tuner will exceed that by the time you get it to your house etc... or get your self an outboard cable box and set the unit on 3 or 4.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Make sure that in the menu, the tuner or station mode is set for cable, and not antenna, if you are on a cable system with the set.

As for servicing your set, the cost will exceed the price of the new value of the set.

Servicing TV sets requires the proper training, experience, and having access to the proper tools, and service information. There are also many safety issues when working on TV sets.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA