Finding a comprehensive parametric contoller directory

I would like to know where I can find a multi-vendor comprehensive directory of microcontrollers that can filter by parameters, so that I can find a list of possible devices for my purposes.

At the moment, I am looking for 8 channel 10 bit ADC, 16 digital i/o pins, and USB communication for control and instrumentation use in a 4mhz or faster unit.

I am hoping such a beast actually exists in a DIP package for ease of prototyping and development.

However, for future projects, having a quick directory would really save a lot of time.

Thanks in advance,

James Ahia

Reply to
James Ahia

which ones have you used so far ?

Reply to
david

"david" wrote in news:dth6jq$ofr$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

So far, I have only used pics and basic stamps from Parallax. However, I have done projects using z80s, 6051s, and 8086s I got from old computers from yard sales, estate auctions, ebay, etc. My overall experience goes back to DOS Edlin, CP/M, and Windows version 2 (later rehashed as DOS 5 Shell).

Pretty much looking for a single chip to use as a central core, with add- ons to do PWM, Relay control, Analog conversion from thermistors, thermocouples, pots, photocells or -diodes, yadda yadda.

Something that could basically act as an 8 axis joystick with 32 digital inputs and 32 digital outputs. Add-ons and other software would handle the rest, but USB is pretty much a necessity as eventually the final design will be set up, programmed, and serviced using a laptop.

Reply to
James Ahia

there is your answer then pick any one you like and stick with that family if you chop from one to another the learning curve is massive chose one and learn its pit falls and make them work for you. There is not one manufacture that has got it all right, but swapping from core to core don't half slow you down.

David

Reply to
david

"david" wrote in news:dtjulf$nis$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

I think I may have found what I was looking for, but the basic idea was finding a chip family that had all the properties and features I needed for a completely new series of projects. Just as a NAND gate can be used in place of an OR gate, I wasn't considering bouncing from one type to another type.

Granted, my applications are ultimately going to be commercial in nature, but my question was simply looking for something that had, for example, ram size, address range, adc channels, adc type (8 bit vs 12 bit), max bus speed, and number / type of communications ports (CAN, USB, Serial) in drop down lists so I could pick what I wanted and filter it.

But, I found an app note that allows USB 1.1 in software on the ATMEGA16 series from Atmel, and that is plenty fast for what I have in mind. I just wanted usb for ease of portability (can use a Win CE, Mac, PC, or laptop to access, interact with, and reprogram the unit.)

Thanks anyway, and hope to add more to the group discussions soon.

-James-

Reply to
James Ahia