How to find a chassis serial number

I have searched this group for information on how I can locate chassis numbers - I'm sure the information exists and it is my search technique that is flawed. Specifically, I need to know how to find the chassis number of a Sears (Goldstar) VCR, vintage late 1987. I would also like to know if there is a rule of thumb when it comes to finding these numbers for any electronic chassis.

Thank youin advance. Jim Daly (a rank novice in electronics)

Reply to
JUD

The rule of thumb is to consult the manual which often indicates where the pertinent numbers are located.

Mostly I just look for 'em. A VCR isn't that hard to handle.

JUD wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

On 2 Mar 2006 09:08:01 -0800, "JUD" put finger to keyboard and composed:

One way is to cross reference the part number of a major component, eg the video heads or capstan motor.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar