building a pda

I am interested in building a pda/ebook reader type device from
scratch.  I have read several posts on this group and others about
this topic yet still have a few questions...
  I want to build something fairly low power and simple, using a
dragonball or coldfire from motorola, or an arm system on chip.  I
also have a thought about using several z80's or similar for some sort
of handheld multi-processing device (just for kicks, sounds cool)...
  In regards to an os I was thinking of an os such as uClinux
(www.uclinux.org) but am open to others...don't know too much about
what is available for the various microcontrollers and
microprocessors.  I would like to do this without having to write a
massive amount of custom software, though I fear it may be
unavoidable...
   Any information here would be appreciated.  thanks in advance

Ron

Re: building a pda
Ron,

handhelds.org seems to be a fairly complete starting point for all kinds
of Linux software to run on a PDA: distributions, GUI, apps...

Eric
--------------
www.jaluna.com

Re: building a pda
I'd like to know more about this too.

You can have a look at http://kiwi.sf.net , it could help.

Post any news on ng.

Bye

Re: building a pda

why not buy one of the oem type pda's
http://www.zexus.com.hk
http://www.zexus.com.hk/DOWNLOAD.htm
supposedly US$38 each with no moq

then just use the linux for palm  port.
or others os's(roms etc).

or something like

http://www.aijisystem.com/e/product/evboard/MBA-44B0.htm
http://www.aijisystem.com/e/product/evboard/smdk2410.htm
but don't give pricing info.
http://www.aijisystem.com/link_location.htm?top_src3D%e/index_top.htm&lef =
t_src3D%e/product/index_product_left.htm&right_src3D%e/product/evboard/ev=
board.htm

their network boards look good as well.

Also http://www.armlinux.net/Eng/product/t-board/tb_iview.htm

What is it with Korean companies and not putting pricing up ?

There is an ecos port for it as well as uClinx and linux ports.
Plenty of linux ports for arm processors.

Site Timeline