building a pda

I am interested in building a pda/ebook reader type device from scratch. I have read several posts on this group and others about this topic yet still have a few questions... I want to build something fairly low power and simple, using a dragonball or coldfire from motorola, or an arm system on chip. I also have a thought about using several z80's or similar for some sort of handheld multi-processing device (just for kicks, sounds cool)... In regards to an os I was thinking of an os such as uClinux

but am open to others...don't know too much about what is available for the various microcontrollers and microprocessors. I would like to do this without having to write a massive amount of custom software, though I fear it may be unavoidable... Any information here would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Ron

Reply to
Ron Irwin

Ron,

handhelds.org seems to be a fairly complete starting point for all kinds of Linux software to run on a PDA: distributions, GUI, apps...

Eric

--------------

Eric Dujardin

I'd like to know more about this too.

You can have a look at

, it could help.

Post any news on ng.

Bye

Reply to
suppaman

why not buy one of the oem type pda's

supposedly US$38 each with no moq

then just use the linux for palm port. or others os's(roms etc).

or something like

but don't give pricing info.
board.htm

their network boards look good as well.

Also

What is it with Korean companies and not putting pricing up ?

There is an ecos port for it as well as uClinx and linux ports. Plenty of linux ports for arm processors.

Reply to
Alex Gibson