Feedback on PIC Demo Board

I am a hobbyist and I'm considering purchasing a PICDEM 4 demo board and was wondering if anyone had any feedback they could offer on this or other PIC demo boards. I am also condering getting the MPLAB ICD 2, but am wondering if I really need it. Any thoughts?

NM

--
convert UPPERCASE NUMBER to a numeral to reply
Reply to

OK, it looks like I need the ICD 2 or some other device to program the PICs and the ICD lets me do in-circuit debugging. Suddenly the eval kit that contains a PICDEM 2 and the ICD 2 is looking better...

NM

--
convert UPPERCASE NUMBER to a numeral to reply
Reply to
News Me

Mr News Me:

I got the PICDEM_2 w/ICD_2. It's really pretty nice and makes the thought of building projects of various sorts less formidable.

2Penny

News Me wrote:

Reply to
2Penny

the picdem usb is quite good

whether you need the icd2 depends on which pics you are going to be using.

Some of the more common ones can be programmed easily with third party programmers like winpicprog or kitsrus k150

with microprose or other software

The icd is good and easy to use.

I got myself an icd2 with a dspicdem board. Been using pics for a few years and didn't need it before. Has come in very handy since.

For some cheap pic boards have a look at

can take a while to recieve them.

If you haven't used pics before it may be worth starting with the 18f's and not worrying about the 16f's.

also sells some pic boards as does

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson