RFID with PIC (PIC16F876)

I'm working on a post-grad project involving (S4100 Reader Module) reading multiple RFID tags. I would like to be able to read the tag IDs to a PIC which then communicates via USB to software running on the PC. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this, code samples in PICBASIC, or any links regarding this as I'm having a really hard time understanding the S4100 data sheet and how to use it with the PIC. Thanks!!

Reply to
jkosem

Save yourself a lot of trouble and interface to the PC via the COM port. This eliminates both the USB interface ic at the PIC and the driver software in the PC.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

My laptop has no COM ports. Most desk tops have no COM ports.

Now what ??? Get a USB to serial adatper for my PC ??

There are some pre-built USB-to-serial interfaces. Your PIC can talk serial to the interface and the USB side talks to the PC.

The one I like to use is:

For a one off project, this works great.

These people started it all:

Donald
[snip]

What cheapshit brand?

[snip]

Nonsense! My latest cheapy desktop has 2 serial ports and 4 USB ports on the back, 2 USB ports on the front.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson skrev:

alot of laptops have no serial port these days...

yes, most desktops still have a serialport, but..

when you build something that needs to talk to a pc you either put a rs232 level converter on the board and have to find a power supply, or you put a USB to serial chip on and you have everything and those with out a serialport are happy too.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Dell Inspiron 9300

Reply to
Donald

OK, I can take your argument the other way:

- None of *my* four desktops nor one laptop has USB

- All five of my 'puters have at least one serial port; two of them have two serial ports.

So USB devices are useless to me, serial devices just fine.

Reply to
Michael

Get with the times man... ;)

I got emailed an add the other day, one of those old toshiba laptops, white with LCD character screen. Some might remember the add, it was comparing the Toshiba to the IBM laptop on size.

Reply to
The Real Andy