which development platform do you use?

I was wondering if linux embedded developers usually develop and deploy on the same os?

Some issues seem to be...

If you develop on a laptop, for example, the laptop capable linux may not be able to used on the deployment target.

Certainly if you are deploying on a very restricted target the os versions may need to be different.

Also, if you have specialized hardware on the target, the drivers etc wouldn't be on your development platform.

A company may use windows for all the office stuff yet want to deploy on linux.

Just wondering how people did it.

thanx

Reply to
thoff

A developer is free to use whatever OS he likes for development. The only rule here is that you need to have a cross toolchain built for the host platform.

I usually develop on Linux based host. It's much easier to do so when you code user space stuff. When I do kernel space development I use NFS to access the modules from the target.

But I also know people that use BSD on the host and develop code for Linux.

VIM is available everywhere :)

Regards, Sasho

Reply to
Alexander Popov

here is that you need to have a cross toolchain built for the host platform.

target.

Quite a few people develop on Cygwin and MacOSX and target Linux.

supports those build systems nicely.

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

rule here is that you need to have a cross toolchain built for the host platform.

target.

You sure did a great job with crosstool (I mean it!) :)

Regards, Sasho

Reply to
Alexander Popov