embedded system development environment

Hi All,

I am new to embedded system development and need your advice on my
upcoming project.  I thank and appreciate your help in advance.

I'd like to setup a development environment that includes a
microprocessor which supports output to LCD as well as input/output
based on Ethernet and 802.11.  The software platform is better based
on Linux with GNU tool chain.

Please kindly suggest what is available on the market that fits the
above requirement.

Thanks again,

Bill

Re: embedded system development environment

One of the gumstix configurations probably has the capabilities you
want.

Re: embedded system development environment

Are you looking for a board the meets those requirements, or are yo
interested in laying out your own PCB and going into production?

I ask this because a systems integrator needs to look at a whole differen
class of products than a circuit designer. And WiFi is mostly a modula
option, with all the CF and SD card options.

Re: embedded system development environment

I am looking for a board that's available on the market so that I can
build my application on it.

Re: embedded system development environment

Why exactly does a laptop or mini laptop (e.g. Eee) not meet your
requirements>?

Re: embedded system development environment

http://www.gumstix.com using Open Embedded with a Linux development host
http://www.netburner.com running uC/OS
or possibly, http://www.chumby.com/ with arm-linux-v4.1.2b, gcc4.1.2

Re: embedded system development environment
In message
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Pity about the last part... most professional tools are on the PC
platform.

Re: embedded system development environment

Linux is available on a PC platform. I think you mean Windows.

JS

Re: embedded system development environment

If by "PC platform" you meant "Windows", (a) that isn't really true
these days, and (b) the impression I got from the OP is that he wants
the OS on the target to be Linux, not necessarily the host OS. Not
that it makes much difference - it's the path of least resistance to
develop for Linux targets on a Linux host anyway.

Re: embedded system development environment

Assuming you mean "Windows" rather than "PC platform"...

That rules out Green Hills, Freescale/CodeWarrior, Cosmic, and a range
of other suppliers as "professional".

Re: embedded system development environment

snipped-for-privacy@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

http://www.compulab.co.il/x270cm/html/x270-cm-datasheet.htm ?

Robert

Re: embedded system development environment

First, think on what your are going to accomplish; only then think how
you are going to accomplish that. In this order and not vice versa.

Understood nothing. Too many meaningless buzzwords.

Buy a used laptop at ebay.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com