telnetd crashes

I am building a Linux system on an SBC, booting off of a CF card and loading the root fs to a ramdisk. Right now I am trying to get telnetd to work so that I can work on it from my desktop. I am using the telnetd provided by busybox, if it makes a difference.

When I booted it up the first time, telnetd worked after making some modifications to /etc/hosts.allow . hosts.deny is empty. I was able to telnet into the SBC and cat messages to the console. When I tried connecting from another machine, telnetd crashed, and I could not connect.

Whenever I restart telnetd and try to telnet in from any machine now, it give me the escape character and then says that the connection was closed. Then on all further tries to connect it just says connection refused. I assume this means that when I start telnetd, it allows me to connect momentarily and then crashes immediately. I have tried restarting it many times, and the same thing happens.

If anyone can provide me with any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Luke Albers

In the words of the immortal Luke Albers:

I would suggest using sshd instead of telnetd... it's encrypted.

/tim

--
Linux.  The Future is Open.  IBM.
Reply to

I had it on there before, made my system around 15-20MB bigger (if I remember correctly). Telnet is small

Reply to
Luke Albers

In the words of the immortal Luke Albers:

good point I guess, given the system type

-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

-Rich Cook

Reply to
Tim Faircloth

That's understandable. Why not try using a non busybox telnetd? I'm pretty sure you can find one laying around that doesn't require the extra overhead of inetd/xinetd... Sometimes the busybox versions of various software can act up strangely. Hey, if worst comes to worst you can just attach netcat to a shell.

--
Matt Britt
CmpE Undergraduate