strange LILO behavior w/ Linux on CF

I have a PC/104 stack booting a Debian-based Linux off a CF (Pretec

512MB) card via an IDE interface. I've installed LILO in the MBR.

It boots and runs with no problem. However, it only boots once. After proper shutdown, and attempted reboot, I get one of two errors, either the dreaded scrolling '99's" or a CRC error. It appears that somehow the MBR code is getting currupted. Upon re-running "lilo" to re-flash the MBR, it boots fine again. There appear to be no other disk problems. Fsck reports no problems.

Any ideas as to what might be messing with the MBR?

Thank you, Greg Kogut

Reply to
Greg Kogut

More likely, something is messing with the files in /boot. Lilo does NOT like having files moved around as it has file addresses hard coded into it's boot block.

Reply to
TCS

I don't know specifically, but save a copy of the good MBR with dd, let the card go bad, then dump a copy of the bad MBR. Compare the two. The actual difference might be instructive.

Are you power-cycling the system after shutdown, or just resetting it?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards