Booting Linux from CompactFlash on AT91SAM9260

The AT91SAM9260 appears to include EBI support for CompactFlash, but the AT91SAM9260-EK development board does not include a CompactFlash interface.

Assuming I can come up with the hardware, how hard will it be to develop the U-Boot and Linux driver support required to boot Linux 2.6 from CompactFlash on the AT91SAM9260?

Is this driver code already out there somewhere?

Thanks.

Jim Thomas

Reply to
jimthomasembedded

That depends on your skills with embedded systems and Linux device drivers. ;-)

Once the hardware is there, it is a matter of configuring pointing das u-boot to the appropriate memory locations where the CF IDE registers and buffer space live for boot purposes. You then config (script) u-boot to copy the kernel into RAM and have it boot from the IDE (a.k.a. CompactFlash) drive.

You will also need to do the magic within your Linux kernel to point the IDE code to the same CF IDE registers.

This is all pretty easy after its done ;-)

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
Reply to
Michael N. Moran

Check