Running strace early in the boot process - getting no output

Hi

This is my first embedded project so if I'm being stupid please be gentle. I've got my custom kernel booting, mounting it's root file system via NFS to the point where the init process is starting, but unsurprisingly, because I haven't got all the neccassary files and libraries in place yet, things are failing. Googling for solutions I learnt that it is possible to use strace to track whats going on. So, I've tried calling strace in my inittab to try and find out why the agetty process won't start properly

In my initab I have

S0:12345:respawn:/usr/bin/strace -f /sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS0 vt102

but I get no output from strace. I know the system is finding strace because if I rename it to something else and reboot I see INIT: cannot execute "/usr/bin/strace"

I have my board connected to my development host via a serial cable and running screen /dev/ttyS0 115200 in an xterm on the host I can see the all the boot messages - but not the output from strace

I'm using Grub to boot my target device and have Grub configured as;

default 0 timeout 8 serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 terminal serial console

title Test Kernel root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.1 console=ttyS0, 115200 \ ip=192.168.0.64:192.168.0.65:192.168.0.65:255.255.255.0:babylon5:eth0:off \ nfsroot=192.168.0.65:/home/roger/vortex root=/dev/nfs ro

This enables me to see all the kernel boot messages and the failure messages from init "Id "S0" respawning too fast" but nothing from strace Any hints or suggestions as to why I am not seeing any output from strace would be welcome as I am stuck if I can't see why my processes are failing

Regards

Reply to
Gilbert

i guess , the system don' t know how to load the dynamic library need by strace, on the another word, it don't know the path of the dynamic libraries. i run the command "ldd /usr/bin/strace" in my desktop pc: linux-gate.so.1 =3D> (0x001f6000) libc.so.6 =3D> /lib/libc.so.6 (0x005b8000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x0059a000) but i don't sure whether your embedded verion strace need the libc.so?

ff

Reply to
simon111