Initial Console Problem

Hi People,

I'm at the point of giving up, googling for 3 days ;-)

I have a soekris box which boots a 2.6 kernel using ttyS0 as the main console.

I need to recompile the kernel but whenever I install my custom kernel, I get all the kernel boot messages on the serial console, up to the error "Warning: unable to open an initial console"

There is definitely a /dev/console, with maj:min 5 and 1, and the boot messages work fine (console=ttyS0 on bootparam).

I've tried everything I can think of - with initrd, without initrd, changing inittab to start the getty on /dev/ttyS0 instead of just ttyS0. I have disabled the network console in my kernel config.

I am really getting desperate, any pointers would be appreciated!

(kernel version is 2.6.20 but I've tried 2.6.9 and 2.6.11)

Thank you! Andi

Reply to
Andi Reinbrech

  1. Did you enable serial console in the configuration?

  1. Is there a device that the kernel could assume to be a VGA?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Andi, You don't mention what you are using to build your root filesystem (i.e. Busybox or something else), and posting your /etc/inittab might also help.

From my /etc/inittab using Busybox, I get my console with:

# Put a getty on the serial port ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

Any other information you have would prove useful.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Gales