Microsoft is a bunch of crooks and imbeciles, burned my copy of xp

Microsoft is a bunch of crooks and imbeciles, burned my copy of xp.

After spending a whole Saturday afternoon re-installing Xp, because it no longer worked, losing all previously installed programs and drivers in the process, because it would hang in install in some unknown place, had to start on a clean disk, and finally got it working with internet access, when I started it again today, a week or so later, it decided that my Logitech mouse was a 'MS mouse', and the cursor jumped all over the screen. Had enough. I would like to hit Bill Gates and Balmer in the face for making such a crap product,. I have burned my MS xp disk in front of the camera. And replaced the partition by reiserfs, will be used for data storage in Linux.

Thank God for Linux and may penguins walk all over Redmond.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

e process,

clean disk,

itech mouse

rap product,.

Linux.

Thank for telling me I am not the only one going crazy with XP. I think it's part of the Microsoft automatic downgrade system, Firefox and other programs won't work after restarting. I have to reinstall often and reject most online upgrade/downgrade requests.

Reply to
linnix

process,

clean disk,

Logitech mouse

product,.

Linux.

What in the world are you guys doing wrong? Homebrew clones?

I find XP extraordinarily stable, so much so I ordered up a spare laptop with XP pre-installed, before it became unavailable.

I now fear the "7". I'm close to needing a bunch of new PC's :-( ...Jim Thompson

It's nowhere near as bad as Vista was, and if you get the Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate version of Windows 7 it comes with "Windows XP Mode," which is just virtual machine software and a license to run a full-fledged copy of XP simultaneously with Win7 itself. Although this burns up plenty of memory (and a few extra CPU cycles), it achieves the ultimate in compatibility.

Perhaps the best operating systems have all already been written, and the future will just be towards so-called hypervisors that just run an assortment of virtual machines with your choice of legacy OSes!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

process,

disk,

mouse

product,.

My Xp machines have been pretty good. Thay are all identical HP boxes with hot-plug raid. I have a "master" hard drive with all my stuff installed. If XP dies (happens maybe every year or so) I can plug in the master and clone that, and restore files from a backup.

You need recovery plans. All operating systems can die, and hard drives can die, and all sorts of stuff can go wrong. A clean OS install, with re-install of all appse and settings, can knock a week out of your life.

But right, Microsoft products are garbage. Google

allchin dll dependencies

John

Care to share the video with everyone?

BTW, if XP is so crap, it's strange how every man and his dog is fighting Microsoft to keep it on the market so they can continue to use it forever.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" ...

Maybe because every MS operating system is better than the next? Art

Reply to
Artemus

.

Vista seems to havve been total crap.

I've just got a new computer (the old one was five years old and had taken to occasionally turning itself off ten minutes after turn-on) with Windows 7 and it seems to work. I did install Suse 11.1 on a separate hard disk, so I've got some insurance,

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I thought was a well known industry fact!

That's why the netbook makers pleaded with MS to keep selling XP, because Vista was crap, and the mainstream consumers did not want Linux.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

process,

clean disk,

mouse

product,.

Yawn.

I have only had to install XP on new drives so whatever your hardware problem was, it's being masked by Linux.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Because the rest are even worse. Actually, 2K wasn't too bad. I'd rather they put the multi-monitor and processor support on that and forget all the later crap.

Reply to
krw

process,

clean disk,

mouse

product,.

Installing any uSoft os is a time consuming process, but it does work ime, though not one to be seen to sing the praises etc.

Of course, preaching to the choir etc, but the way to safeguard your system is to make regular backups to a disk file on a separate drive, or image copy the whole disk to a second drive. Make sure if you use backup to save system state as well, which is not necessarily saved by default. You know all this already of course :-).

Using the first method, if your machine goes down, all you have to do is install the bare minimum xp install, then use restore to write over that from the backup set, then reboot and you are more or less back to normal.

Using the second method, download a copy of Seagate disk wizard from their website, make sure that you have at least one seagate drive in the machine, then you can do a disk mirror copy which is bootable and identical to the original. You can then remove the mirror drive, safe in the knowledge that you have a complete snapshot of the system at time of copy. Hard disks are so cheap now and it's far quicker and more convenient to use a second drive or more for backups.

I've used Disk Wizard for a year or more now and it's saved my ass on more than one occasion :-)..

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:57:42 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

process,

clean disk,

mouse

product,.

You are right, I should have made a mirror image of that partition, plenty of space... well, actually I just got my new 1TB external HD full... So I the extra space created by removing xp was welcome. I did not use xp a lot, just to test some new gadgets I bought that only had xp drivers, and some Sony video editing software, but that timed out (demo) anyways, and did not do anything that I could not do in Linux faster... It is the outrageous amount of time that xp stuff and it's problems takes...

I had a strange idea this morning, sure for MS the 'operating system' has become a purpose in itself, while all it should be is a universal layer to isolate the applications from the hardware. So MS makes it as impressive resource sucking as they can, but then I thought: Do we still need an OS in the future? When you have multi cores, with many many cores, sure you can run one application on each core. Your idea was that no? All you need then is some piping mechanism to pipe data (in the Unix way), from one core to the other. Each core its own memory too. Vendors now also supply the drivers, some little program code to allow it it run on any platform would be nice.

Also I am contemplating writing a letter to the EU person responsible for suing MS, to ask if we can demand hardware vendors to supply drivers for Linux too, if they sell in the EU.

And on purpose, but the crime is in asking 98 Euro for a 20 cent copy. Suppose you had to pay 100$ for each newspaper.... The audacity!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:18:43 +1100) it happened "David L. Jones" wrote in :

Sure, you can get a DVD copy for 150$, you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement, and pay up front, then you get a sticker that you MUST glue on your computer to indicate you are using a legal copy of my movie, and if you do not produce that upon inspection pay at least 60000$.

And you can only play the movie on one computer, the one with the sticker, and are not allowed to copy it or show to anyone else.

Updating your computer with a new hard disks or other hardware requires you to purchase a new copy. I give no support, no guarantee the movie will actually play, and are not responsible to damage of anything in, on, or around your computer if something goes wrong. Holy shit, if you could sell cars like that!

Dog? Sure. The world is full of strange people.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:53:31 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

I would stay clear of Suse, they are in bed with MS. But it may actully work, as opposed to xp.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:53:15 +1100) it happened "David L. Jones" wrote in :

My Asus eeePC has xandros Linux installed, seems in the east 70% of netbooks runs Linux.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:38:26 +0000) it happened ChrisQ wrote in :

It is much easier from Linux: If xp is on /dev/hda5: cp /dev/hda5 my_xp_backup

And to restore: cp my_xp_backup /dev/hda5

See, those things blind people. Understand the hardware.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:22:56 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

But I recommend: mkreiserfs /dev/hda5 That will create some nice data space fro Linux. That is what I ended up doing. grml: ~ # update_database This will mount all partitions and run updatedb, continue(y/n)? y Mounting disks

/dev/hdb: setting using_dma to 1 (on) using_dma = 1 (on)

/dev/hda: setting using_dma to 1 (on) using_dma = 1 (on) mount: /dev/hdd1 already mounted or /mnt/hdd1 busy mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdd1 is already mounted on /mnt/hdd1 mount: /dev/hdd4 already mounted or /mnt/hdd4 busy mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdd4 is already mounted on /mnt/hdd4 Status Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on rootfs 38021488 36124980 1896508 96% / /dev/root 38021488 36124980 1896508 96% / /dev/root 38021488 36124980 1896508 96% /dev/.static/dev tmpfs 10240 268 9972 3% /dev tmpfs 193012 0 193012 0% /dev/shm /dev/hdd1 38951608 16680368 20292608 46% /mnt/hdd1 /dev/hdd4 38571552 31599132 6972420 82% /mnt/hdd4 /dev/hda1 29288192 28845504 442688 99% /mnt/hda1 /dev/hda5 9767184 32840 9734344 1% /mnt/hda5 /dev/hdb2 47277 8494 36342 19% /mnt/hdb2 /dev/hdb3 38544352 36518700 2025652 95% /mnt/hdb3 /dev/hdd6 48377 8494 37385 19% /mnt/hdd6 /dev/sda1 39571460 37362920 2208540 95% /mnt/sda1 /dev/sda3 38571552 781260 37790292 3% /mnt/sda3 /dev/sda6 48409 29424 16485 65% /mnt/sda6 /dev/sda8 897504508 895646372 1858136 100% /mnt/sda8 rootfs on / type rootfs (rw) /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) /dev/root on /dev/.static/dev type reiserfs (rw) tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw) /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) /dev/hdd1 on /mnt/hdd1 type ext2 (rw) /dev/hdd4 on /mnt/hdd4 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type vfat (rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1) /dev/hda5 on /mnt/hda5 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/hdb2 on /mnt/hdb2 type ext2 (rw) /dev/hdb3 on /mnt/hdb3 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/hdd6 on /mnt/hdd6 type ext2 (rw) /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/sda3 on /mnt/sda3 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/sda6 on /mnt/sda6 type ext2 (rw) /dev/sda8 on /mnt/sda8 type reiserfs (rw)

Run updatedb(y/n)? n

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

process,

This mentality means that users that follow it get exactly what they deserve.

What? No back ups of your installed system?

Not even a "saved state"?

Life is rough for those that stumble through it and find themselves wanting a magic bullet when things fall apart.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

OMFG, what a clinical case of linuxopatia. And BTW, Jan: Microsoft is a bunch of budha bodhissatvas, who perfect their mental powers in deep meditation...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky