cpm_uart console?

Hi ,

I am working on an 8260 based board and currently cannot get the serial (running on SMC 1) to work using the 2.6.11 kernel. The last message I see in my console is: "Now booting the kernel".

I currently use NFS root for mounting the root filesystem. Despite not seeing any output from the serial console, the board does actually boot up and I can telnet in okay. Here is what I see in:

/proc/interrupts:

CPU0

4: 0 CPM2 SIU Edge cpm_uart 32: 23184 CPM2 SIU Edge fenet BAD: 793

/proc/devices:

Character devices:

1 mem 2 pty 3 ttyp 4 /dev/vc/0 4 tty 5 /dev/tty 5 /dev/console 5 /dev/ptmx 7 vcs 10 misc 13 input 128 ptm 136 pts 204 ttyCPM 254 devfs

Block devices:

There are no block devices installed.

In /dev, I see:

crw--w--w- 1 root root 204, 46 Jan 1 00:32 ttyCPM0

And when I do "dmesg", I see: ... ... Serial: CPM driver $Revision: 0.01 $ ttyCPM0 at MMIO 0xf0011a80 (irq = 4) is a CPM UART ... ...

I currently do not specify the "console=ttyCPM" in my boot command line. Would this be an issue?

I have tried to add "console=ttyCPM" to my boot command line but in such cases, the kernel would fail to boot. Using some LEDs as debug, I tracked down the hang which seems to happen during cpm_uart_console_write. This is as far as I got.

I am running with devfs enabled in the kernel. Does the cpm_uart driver work with devfs?

As an aside, I have ported the 2.6.5 kernel to my 8260 based board and both ethernet (FCC 1) and serial (SMC 1) worked okay using this particular kernel.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, Chi

Reply to
Chi Kit tsang