Re: Linux on Nokia

Hello,

I'm looking for a embedded linux, running on nokias 7650, too.
I'd hack the kernel by my own, but I don't know how to get it on the
7650's "harddrive".
So, does anybody knwo how to do that, or knows some ressources or
links?

Thanks,
Stephan

Re: Linux on Nokia
But,
what is the OS and processor currently present in 7650 + memory capacity?
I think, those details could enable me to give u a full in-depth
idea regarding linux on Nokia.

karthik bala guru

Re: Linux on Nokia

http://www.handhelds.org has a porting guide for Linux on different devices.
Though it is targeted at PDAs parts should apply for the Nokia, too.
You will find that the first steps are the hardest without deeper specs from
the manufacturer.

You might want to have a look at OpenEmbedded if you are looking for a
decent build system for the basic distribution, tools and GUI.

Oliver

Re: Linux on Nokia
Hello,
I've found this infos:
4 MB shared memory
ARM9 CPU, 104 MHz
SymbianOS

Stephan

Re: Linux on Nokia

Not that much for the basic system plus GUI- at least not for installing
additional software data like addressbook etc.

Is this the memory also used for the operating system ? Or is it in a
different section ? Is it FlashRAM ?

Sufficient...

Interesting- gives an additional challenge in bringing the basic sysytem on
the device. All attempts I know about start with Windows Mobile on it.

Oliver

Re: Linux on Nokia

Hi
The Nokia 7650 has...
15,7 MB ROM
4 MB User Memory
8 MB (SD-Ram)
source: http://www.aikon.ch/7650/doku/7650re.htm (german)
sry for bad english

Re: Linux on Nokia

By ROM- is a real ROM meant here or is it a Flash"ROM" ?
A standard ROM is a knockout for port attempts as you'd need to burn an
EPROM with the basic operating sytem.

Not much.

Again not that much taking in account that the /tmp and /var file systems
are usually mount as ram disks to prevent frequent write access on the
flash.

And yes, one would need to implement a phoning software which supports the
device specifica. In the end the usability would be less than before and
porting Qtopia Phone Edition does cost efforts and money.

Oliver

Site Timeline