PPC 555 Linux

Hi all, Looking for a real time linux distrubution, commercial or otherwise, that supports the Freescale (Motorola) mpc555. For those not familiar with this chip, it contains dedicated hardware called TPUs (Time Processing Unit) that is not found in 'desktop' PPCs. Support for the TPU is the most important feature that I need. A little background. We have eveloped an embedded hardware device based on the Phytec 555 board. At present we run our code naked on the processor. Well and good, yet we are at the point where an operating system is probably worth the trouble. The difficult part will be to find a distro that properly boots and initializes all (including the TPUs) hardware. By the way, tried to search Google groups berfore asking here. My first experience with the new Google groups interface. Useless. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Reply to
root

I believe the 555 doesn't have a memory management unit (MMU). If that is indeed the case, then the only Linux version that might run on it would be uclinux. I don't know wether there is a Linux distribution suitable for your hardware "off the shelf", but I seriously doubt it (even more so since you also need real-time capabilties).

There are a number of consultants (my company being one of them ...) who could create a suitable solution for you, but be aware that this is probably a significant job.

Good Luck!

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com