Real time Linux

Hi guys,
I am a newbie of this newsgroup..and reading some posts i thought it was a
good place to have help..

I am working on a hw platform on which is installed Windows CE 5.0,
the platform is based on a Samsung S3C2440-300 and has 32Mb of flash, 32 Mb
Ram
3 Serial, 2 USB host ...etc. i would like to change the OS and install Linux
OS
trying to do "Hard Real Time" tasks
Unfortunately I have not a huge experience on Linux and i really do not know
which distribution/kernel use
and how to install it.
I hope u can guide me in this experience.

Thanks in advance,
Kikko

Re: Real time Linux
(some edits give...)

Kikko
What you want to do is not a small project, even
for an experienced developer.  You might want to
start by playing with a Kwikbyte or Gumstix kit
that comes with Linux.  Also, you'll need a JTAG
debugger or some other way to install a bootloader.

The next step would be to go through all of the
chapters in the excellent book, "Cross Linux From
Scratch".  It is at:  http://trac.cross-lfs.org /

good luck!
Bob

Re: Real time Linux

For hard realtime, people always advice kernels from kernel.org,
unpatched by any distributor. "People" here means:
  <www.xenomai.org>
  <www.rtai.org>
Both have very actively supported mailinglists and installation
documentation.

Herman

--
   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng.,  Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc Tel: +32 16 322480

Re: Real time Linux
Win CE can't do hard realtime.

Linux can't do hard realtime either.

If you want to do hard realtime, you need to use some other OS or
enhance Linux by a hard realtime add-on.

 From the top of my head I know these alternatives:

Free software: RTAI is a Linux add-on that allows for running real time
tasks together with Linux.

Commercial products:
  - TimeSys claim to have a Linux version that does Realtime for normal
Linux processes
  - Montavista seems to offer something similar but I have not much
information on this
  - SysGo has a thing that is called PIKE-OS and enhances their ELinOS
Linux distribution. It is a virtualization platform that runs Linux as a
guest OS and comes with a POSIX based guest OS to do hard realtime
stuff. The guest OSes are run in "boxes" and can't destroy the resources
of the virtualization platform and the other guests (So Linux can be
rebooted by a watchdog without harming the realtime stuff).
Communication channels between the guests are provided.

-Michael

Site Timeline