Real time Linux

Hi guys, I am a newbie of this newsgroup..and reading some posts i thought it was a good place to have help..

I am working on a hw platform on which is installed Windows CE 5.0, the platform is based on a Samsung S3C2440-300 and has 32Mb of flash, 32 Mb Ram

3 Serial, 2 USB host ...etc. i would like to change the OS and install Linux OS trying to do "Hard Real Time" tasks Unfortunately I have not a huge experience on Linux and i really do not know which distribution/kernel use and how to install it. I hope u can guide me in this experience.

Thanks in advance, Kikko

Reply to
Kikko

Kikko wrote: (some edits give...)

Kikko What you want to do is not a small project, even for an experienced developer. You might want to start by playing with a Kwikbyte or Gumstix kit that comes with Linux. Also, you'll need a JTAG debugger or some other way to install a bootloader.

The next step would be to go through all of the chapters in the excellent book, "Cross Linux From Scratch". It is at:

good luck! Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

For hard realtime, people always advice kernels from kernel.org, unpatched by any distributor. "People" here means: Both have very actively supported mailinglists and installation documentation.

Herman

-- K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group Tel: +32 16 322480

Reply to
Herman Bruyninckx

Win CE can't do hard realtime.

Linux can't do hard realtime either.

If you want to do hard realtime, you need to use some other OS or enhance Linux by a hard realtime add-on.

From the top of my head I know these alternatives:

Free software: RTAI is a Linux add-on that allows for running real time tasks together with Linux.

Commercial products: - TimeSys claim to have a Linux version that does Realtime for normal Linux processes - Montavista seems to offer something similar but I have not much information on this - SysGo has a thing that is called PIKE-OS and enhances their ELinOS Linux distribution. It is a virtualization platform that runs Linux as a guest OS and comes with a POSIX based guest OS to do hard realtime stuff. The guest OSes are run in "boxes" and can't destroy the resources of the virtualization platform and the other guests (So Linux can be rebooted by a watchdog without harming the realtime stuff). Communication channels between the guests are provided.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell