No shell from utelnetd

I have a TRENDnet TEW-635BRM router and I've found a hidden web page that allows me to enter system commands. I can see that it's running BusyBox v1.1.0 and that the Linux kernel is as follows:

Linux version 2.6.8.1 (root@pbsa) (gcc version 3.4.2) #1 Wed Aug 19

14:16:29 CST 2009

I'd like to gain the ability to telnet into the device, but my attempts so far have failed. The BusyBox build does not include telnetd, but I found utelnetd in /usr/sbin:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14304 Aug 19 2009 utelnetd

When I run this, it starts with "telnetd: starting port: 23; login program: /bin/login" which allows me connect but I don't get a shell. Nothing happens, characters I type are just echoed back. I found the following posting which exhibited the same symptoms, but no solution was offered:

BTW, the symbolic link bin/login -> busybox. I've tried everything to get this working, but to no avail. I see the passwd file has root and nobody defined. Does anybody have any ideas why the telnet daemon isn't allowing me to login?

Reply to
Mark G