Linux for embedded mpc5xx

I'm trying to build a cross compiler for mpc5xx boards. My distribution is
SuSe 9.2. I've been following Graig Hollabaugh's "Embedded Linux" book.
I've done this before a couple of years ago using a Redhat release and it
worked fine.

The sequence is :
build binutils
build gcc
build glibc
rebuild gcc using glibc.

The first build of gcc always fails. Where it fails depends on which release
I'm using.

Has  anyone had any luck building a cross compiler under SuSe 9.1 or 9.2?

--
crynwulf

Re: Linux for embedded mpc5xx
Have you tried something like crosstool(http://kegel.com/crosstool )?
Its a bit of a cop out, but it should be relatively straight forward.
By the way, in what way does your build of gcc fail?

Daniel Boline
Dept of Physics, Boston University

Re: Linux for embedded mpc5xx

I found kegel.com earlier this afternoon. It looks promising.

The newer releases all seem to fail trying to make gnat ada. Something to do
with "amake". Others fail trying to make loop.o from loop.c. The error is a
missing close " inside a long comment about the chill parser. Other
distributions fail on various _something and __something functions.
Chill parser seems to be the most common problem.
Native builds go OK. Only cross builds fail.

crynwulf

Re: Linux for embedded mpc5xx
Why wouldn't you just download ELDK 3.1 from Denx and save yourself the
aggravation?

Re: Linux for embedded mpc5xx

Now that I have the link, I'll give it a try. I'm constrained to download
via a Windows machine (no ncftp) and then copy to a removable media to
carry to the Linux machines. I looked for a way to order the CD and have
sent an e-mail to  Denx asking how to buy a CD.
--
crynwulf

Site Timeline