Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?

Hi all,

> > Is there a full Linux install for the gcc AVR compiler and programmer? > I'm looking to move off the ever-fluid Windows platform to Linux to gain > advantage of other Unix tools, but I DON'T want to become a GNU > toolchain guru to do it. Along with a C compiler/assembler I'd need a > download mechanism as well. Has anyone packaged up a complete Linux > installer for this toolset?

Looks like there are some fairly recent RPMS here:

I've never used any of these specifically since I use FreeBSD Unix.

If you use FreeBSD Unix, you can install your complete AVR development environment which includes the gcc compiler, libc, program download support (avrdude), and JTAGICE support under gdb very simply as follows:

% cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-gcc && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-libc && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avrdude && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-gdb && make install % cd /usr/ports/devel/avarice && make install

Cheers,

-Brian

--
Brian Dean, bsd@bdmicro.com
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board

Of course. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux. There are standard packages for everything you need. You'll want these:

binutils-avr - binary utilities that support Atmel's AVR targets gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr). avr-libc - Standard C library for Atmel AVR development avra - Assembler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

and one of these:

avrp - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers avrprog - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers uisp - Micro In-System Programmer for Atmel's AVR MCUs

Sami

--
Fairness, niceness, these things are irrelevant.
With true understanding comes correct action.

The problem with RPM is that they are a bit distribution specific. Probably you get path problems or you libc version does not match.

But there is a third way between CVS and RPM package: AVRtoolbox is a set of modules managed by a script that automatically builds them from source after you downloaded them. You just have to provide the required devel packages for your system. Not as easy as to install an RPM, but also not as hard as compiling the complete chain by hand. All components of AVRtoolbox reside in a single directory (deleting this directory is indeed not more complicated than de- installing an RPM).

Take a look at:

Micha

--
"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article,
then hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck

I guess that I opened a can of worms. How many flavors of Linux are there? I have Redhat 6.1 - What is Debian? Is that a release name?

thanks again, DLC

: Dennis Clark writes: :> Hi all, :>

:> Is there a full Linux install for the gcc AVR compiler and programmer?

: Of course. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux. There are standard packages for : everything you need. You'll want these:

: binutils-avr - binary utilities that support Atmel's AVR targets : gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr). : avr-libc - Standard C library for Atmel AVR development : avra - Assembler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

: and one of these:

: avrp - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers : avrprog - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers : uisp - Micro In-System Programmer for Atmel's AVR MCUs

: Sami : -- : Fairness, niceness, these things are irrelevant. : With true understanding comes correct action. : -- snipped-for-privacy@interport.net (void)

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
Dennis Clark

Sami,

Nice list of packages, but it lacks either avrdude or uisp to download the binary to the chip in the package lists.

And will require me to install YAOS on the box...

still, hmm, DLC

: Dennis Clark writes:

:> I guess that I opened a can of worms. How many flavors of Linux are there? :> I have Redhat 6.1 - What is Debian? Is that a release name?

: Have a look at . If you have problems : installing the RPMs, move to Debian. You can say "apt-get install [the : packages I mentioned]" and it downloads and installs them with no : further interaction.

: Sami : -- : Fairness, niceness, these things are irrelevant. : With true understanding comes correct action. : -- snipped-for-privacy@interport.net (void)

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
Dennis Clark

What do you mean by "ever-fluid Windows platform"? What specific problems are you having with the Windows toolset?

Reply to
E. Weddington

: What do you mean by "ever-fluid Windows platform"? What specific : problems are you having with the Windows toolset?

Windows 95, 98, 98 Gold, 98SE, Windows ME, Windows NT3.5, NT4.0, W2000, XP... Every damn one of 'em different from the last, sometimes substantially. Makes it a bit of a headache building tools to be reliable on all of them at the same time. Every damn one of 'em more memory hungry and bloated than the last - Not that most OS's don't have the same issue, but Linux is a bit less arbitrary it seems in implementing "standards". I really get tired of running afoul of some .ocx or .dll that seems to change with the cycles of the moon, and REALLY tired of the registry.

Just my opinion, if you love Windows, power to you, it works for most folks just fine.

IMO, YMMV, DLC

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
Dennis Clark

Oh, now I see. I thought you were referring to the AVR toolset on the Windows platform, not the Windows OS itself! I agree, I don't care much for MS and their bad OSes.

However, if you need the AVR toolset for Windows, check out WinAVR

It seems to work pretty well for most Windows users. Of course YMMV.

Reply to
E. Weddington

The docs at:

--> join next line avr-libc-user-manual/install_tools.html

and:

Are very good imho, but if you'd prefer a single document to take you thru the install process on a Linux box, my how to may be of interest.

              Kind Regards from Terry
    My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2
         New Homepage: http://milkstone.d2.net.au/
 ** Linux Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **
Reply to
Terry