linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called.

I'm working on getting a CANBus driver installed on my box, and am
having a lot of difficulty getting it to load correctly.  I have
finally traced down the problem to the fact that when I call

# insmod can

and get

Using /lib/modules/2.4.26-vrs1-pxa1-arcom3-1-viper/misc/can.o

nothing else happens.  lsmod shows that the driver has "installed" but
even when I dumb down the init_module and cleanup_module calls to just
call printk to give me signs of life I see nothing.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could go about tracking down
why init_module isn't being called on the load of that module and how I
could fix that problem?

Thanks,
Miah Wander

Re: linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called.

does the message display to another dest?

try dmesg, maybe you can see some message of your printk.

Re: linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called.
Excellent, that shows me the driver has installed correctly.  I
appreciate your help.

Site Timeline