Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

I wanted to change an old PC (Intel/AMD) into like reference design (like PowerPC, ARM or MIPS) and I would like to load embedded Linux onto that. Do I have to make any changes for that?. do I need to change the Bootloader (U boot loader), please suggest me which is the best way, I couldn't affort to buy PowerPc based reference design.

Is there anywhere can I get a reference design for very cheap. I am very interested in loading Linux on to that, appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
santa19992000

Oh yes, we are going to make an ARM CPU to fit on the old socket 6 motherboard.

No change necessary. You would not be able to tell the difference.

Get everything from us.

Just pay us.

Reply to
linnix

Which reference design?

Changes in what? The PC case? That depends on the board you choose.

Not if you've got a bootloader already ported to the reference design you've chosen. If you don't have a bootloader port for your platform, then you're going to have to port (change) the bootloader.

Well, you can load embedded Linux onto an IA32 motherboard. That's certainly cheap. You can get low-spec PCs (P100 class) for free -- at least here in the US.

If all you want is something to run Linux on, then you're not going to find anything cheaper than an old Wintel PC pulled out of a dumpster. I admit that the IA32 architecture sucks and that Wintel Mobo chipsets are a horrible, nightmarish, PITA compared to something intended for embedded use, but the hardware is dirt cheap and all the low-level software has been ported, so most of the awful IA32/Wintel aberrations are hidden from view.

If you want to play with a cheap platform for uCLinux on an ARM7, then a Linksys hub is pretty cheap (about 40 USD last time I checked). Some of the other hubs (Netgear) are also running uCLinux and are even cheaper.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  WHY are we missing
                                  at               KOJAK?