Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

I wanted to change an old PC (Intel/AMD) into like reference design
(like PowerPC, ARM or MIPS) and I would like to load embedded Linux
onto that. Do I have to make any changes for that?. do I need to change
the Bootloader (U boot loader), please suggest me which is the best
way, I couldn't affort to buy PowerPc based reference design.

Is there anywhere can I get a reference design for very cheap. I am
very interested in loading Linux on to that, appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

Oh yes, we are going to make an ARM CPU to fit on the old socket 6
motherboard.

No change necessary.  You would not be able to tell the difference.

Get everything from us.

Just pay us.

Re: Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

Which reference design?

Changes in what?  The PC case?  That depends on the board you
choose.

Not if you've got a bootloader already ported to the reference
design you've chosen.  If you don't have a bootloader port for
your platform, then you're going to have to port (change) the
bootloader.

Well, you can load embedded Linux onto an IA32 motherboard.
That's certainly cheap.  You can get low-spec PCs (P100 class)
for free -- at least here in the US.

If all you want is something to run Linux on, then you're not
going to find anything cheaper than an old Wintel PC pulled out
of a dumpster.  I admit that the IA32 architecture sucks and
that Wintel Mobo chipsets are a horrible, nightmarish, PITA
compared to something intended for embedded use, but the
hardware is dirt cheap and all the low-level software has been
ported, so most of the awful IA32/Wintel aberrations are hidden
from view.

If you want to play with a cheap platform for uCLinux on an
ARM7, then a Linksys hub is pretty cheap (about 40 USD last
time I checked).  Some of the other hubs (Netgear) are also
running uCLinux and are even cheaper.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  WHY are we missing
                                  at               KOJAK?