I Can't boot Linux through my CF!

Hi all I want to create my own embedded Linux. I want to use CF to boot. when I mount my CF in other Linux , linux determines it as "sda1" but when I copy necessary files on it and run lilo and make it bootable I can't boot thorogh it! (before lilo starts to work , Bios says that "Boot failed" , or Please put bootable disk blah blah...) I test this CF on several mainbaords and I got the same result I don't know what is wrong

Reply to
SAber Khamooshi

Are you sure that the BIOS can boot from this CF slot ?

Maybe the CF is considered as a removable disk and not as a standard ISA drive and thus the BIOS does not boot it. (The hardware of a CF card can be accessed in either way. ISA compatible mode or CF mode).

I suppose you did write a boot record on the appropriate partition ?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

either the mainboard has to have support to boot off CF, or you need an interface that emulates an IDE drive.

Reply to
TCS

Are you using a USB adapter? You might want to switch to an IDE adapter. See

bootable I

Please put

Almost all PC can boot from CF in IDE mode.

Reply to
linnix