BlueCat boot question

Hi,

I am new to embedded Linux and have decided to try the Bluecat distribution Release 5.0. I am a bit disappointed with the documentation, it does not appear to be consistent or up to date.

I have managed to get the provided "osloader" onto a floppy and boot over the network. So I have had some success.

My next objective is to boot the provided "showcase" demonstration from a CompactFlash (essentially I'm treating this as a hard disk). I want to install the kernel and root filesystem onto the CF from my development machine. I have and IDE to CF adapter so I can see the CF as /dev/hdc.

One thing I have not got to grips with is whether I always need to use the osloader to boot a system. If I want to locally boot the "showcase" image from CF do I need to boot to the "osloader" which would then start the "showcase" image?

I am also confused how many partitions I should make on the CF. I have created one partition which is bootable (the full 128MB of space).

The steps I took are:-

/sbin/fdisk /dev/hdc mke2fs /dev/hdc1 mkboot -b -k showcase.disk -f showcase.rfs -r /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc1 mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/flash

This does not mount correctly. Saying there is a wrong fs, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc1

In summary, I would like to know what paritions to create and I'm not sure what and how to place the image on the CF.

Thanks, J

Reply to
John Flynn