Cannot install LILO on compact flash device

I am trying to install a embedded system. I have built and copied
across to my CF card the built system based on 2.4 kernal and busybox.
I have created a target lilo conf file on the CF as follows

boot = /dev/sda
disk = /dev/sda
bios=0x80
image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.29
root=/dev/sda1
append="root=/dev/hda1"
label=linux
read-only

I then try and load it using

lilo -r /mnt/cd -C /etc/target.lilo.conf

using LILO version 22.4.1

and I get the following error

Fatal: stat /dev/sda: No such file or directory

I have a /mnt/cf/dev/sda

on the system

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Re: Cannot install LILO on compact flash device
Has your board a CF IDE interface ?
If yes use /dev/hdX

Re: Cannot install LILO on compact flash device
No, its connected via USB, but that should not be a problem since I can
access it the disk OK.

Basically I have been following the best I can the O'Reilly Building
Embedded Linux Systems book and have built my system and followed the
Using LILO with Disk and Compact Flash Devices section. But have now
come to a halt.

Any ideas anyone?

I can chroot onto the system, however it looks to me that it is looking
for stat on on the chrooted system and busybox does not have that
utility.

Re: Cannot install LILO on compact flash device

Ok, Fixed it. Basically I needed to create my sda device on the compact
flash(and sda1)

created directory scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0

then in the lun0 directory

mknod -m 666 disc b 8 0
mknod -m 666 part1 b 8 1

then in the CF dev directory

ln -s scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc sda
ln -s scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 sda1

Site Timeline