newbie needs help puting linux on compactflash

Hi All,

I am trying to put Linux 2.4.24 to compact flash. I checked a few sites on the web and still have difficult booting from 256M of Sandisk compact flash on an IDE controller.

Here is my setup:

host: P4 with Redhat 9 installed. All kernel development software is installed. I was trying to use an USB from SanDisk to write file to the

256Mb flash.

target: P3 900Mhz from TME-Inc. with compactflash socket (type II) on primary IDE slave, 512MB SDRAM, USBs, ethernet, dual channel IDE, integrated video. etc.

I was trying to follow this page but failed:

and this one too:

when I try to install lilo.

Is that simple and straightway to put linux on the bootable flash so my PC104 p3 can boot?

Thanks.

Everett

Reply to
Everett X. Wang

*How* did it fail?

It is...*if* you get it right. There are several ways to get it wrong though, especially if the target system boots off of a different device number than the build system. (See the "bios" setting of LILO for that.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Hi,

It failed at lilo:

I can mount the compactflash. It showes up as a SCSI: mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/cf

I can make directory under cf, copy files to it.

But when I do this, it failed

/sbin/lilo -v 3 -r /mnt/cf -C etc/lilo.conf

lilo report that it can't find /dev/sdb

Originally, I thought that the lilo.conf has a problem. But it failed even for this /sbin/lilo -v 3 -r /mnt/cf, which uses default lilo in /etc with the same message. A friend ask me to try "chroot" to /mnt/cf. It also failed, even though I mount the flash and can create directory and files in /mnt/cf.

Any idea about this?

Everett

Reply to
Everett X. Wang

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:10:51 GMT, "Everett X. Wang" wrote: I did it this way: Hope this helps:

Creating my filesystem as NFS. Mount my compact flash in /mnt and copy the NFS contents into /mnt. After that "chroot" to /mnt. Then I have a /boot and /etc directory with lilo.conf in /etc. Because I am using devfs I have to mount /dev again and not to forget /proc. Then "lilo -v" does the right thing. No trouble. My lilo.conf looks like this: (My compact flash is connectetd like an IDE device)

boot=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc lba32 menu-title="Bootmenue CAR-PC" prompt timeout=20 vga=785

image=/boot/linux label=hd_linux root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 append="hdb=none ide1=noprobe ...."

image=/boot/nfs_linux label=nfs_linux append="root=/dev/nfs ....."

JB

--
Juergen Beisert        email: jbeisert _AT_ eurodsn _DOT_ de
EuroDesign embedded technologies GmbH  http://www.eurodsn.de

Don't forget simple things like installing an MBR and setting the boot partition boot flag.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Thanks for you information. I am trying to follow exmaples here. But I don't know how to creat NFS file system. Can you showed me how to do that?

I have a redhat 9 installed on my desktop computer and I know how to compile a kernel for the embedded PC. I also have a USB flash reader connected to the desktop PC which linux supports it. The embedded PC is a PC104 P3 with an IDE flash connector.

Thanks a lot.

Everett

Reply to
Everett X. Wang

That requires a NFS server on the network. It you don't have one, it would be easier to dump an raw CF boot image directly.

Can you connect the flash drive to you desktop PC? If so, just rawwrite a bootable image to the flash drive.

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF