PC104 with 8MB CF Linux Bootup

Hello,

I have a P5M from Digital Logic

that is basically Intel architecture. It comes with builtin video, a P5 with 64MB RAM. It is designed to boot off Flash ROM.

I am having problems trying to get 'init' to work.

It's running GRUB 0.95a successfully. The kernel is 2.6.8.1 with almost all features removed, except IDE, VGA, Keyboard and built-in network for 127.0.0.1 support. The kernel starts up successfully.

The CF is two partitions, the first is VFAT (for data access to a laptop), the second is ext2fs.

Further, I'm not using SysLinux (I want a native boot, so that a user cannot damage or delete the Linux partition from Windows), nor do I have set up initrd or RAM disks. I hope that I can have the whole system start up and ext2fs can remain read-only.

My problem, while I have copied over 'sh' from RedHat 9.0 (or FC3 Test

1) to /bin/sh, and used ldd to find all the dynamic dependencies (ld, libc.so.6, termcap, etc.), the system appears to Halt with no output on the console.

I copy the binaries from a distribution called "Pocket Linux" that is using LibC version 5 and older LD, everything works. When I create a test program that uses shared libraries (it would normally print only "Hello World"), copy it to the CF in /bin, copy the appropriate libraries form RH9.0 (or FC3t1) and executing it from the 'sh' from Pocket Linux, it reports "Illegal Instruction".

When the same test program is compiled statically, it can be used as init, and everything works as expected.

So - the problem looks to be related to the loader on startup, and I have no further ideas how to fix it. I would like to use the newer LIBc libraries, as my development machine is FC3 or RH9 and I'd like to copy the binary outputs for the programs onto the PC104 device.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason.

Reply to
Jason Curl

P5 is 586, right?

Is your development machine 686 or above?

Compile everything in 586 or lower.

Reply to
Linnix