Hardware setups in Karim Yaghmour's book

Hello,

I bought Karim Yaghmour's "Building Embedded Linux Systems" and wanted to get an introduction to embedded Linux.

I think it is a pleasant read from a newcomers standpoint, but there is one thing that I do not understand and find confusing.

I don't really understand how the hardware is supposed to work on the different platforms, how code is downloaded to the the target in a host/target setup, is it through JTAG, etc.?

My view is the following, there are so many possible setups that it would take to much space to cover it all, but then I think there could be maybe one possible setup that could have been covered in detail.

Is there some other book that covers a hardware configuration and explain the connections in detail? Some good website, maybe?

Morgan

Reply to
Morgan P?lsson

Hi Morgan,

JTAG, BDM, Ethernet, Serial, programmed directly to flash - many ways.

Yes, you are right. There are many different possible setups for getting code onto a target.

When you reach this stage, it's usually specific to the actual target board, so you need to look through the doco for your particular platform.

regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     damion@snapgear.com
SnapGear - A CyberGuard Company ---    ph:         +61 7 3435 2809
  | Custom Embedded Solutions          fax:         +61 7 3891 3630
  | and Security Appliances            web: http://www.snapgear.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  ---  Free Embedded Linux Distro at   http://www.snapgear.org  ---
Reply to
Damion de Soto