Embedded PowerPC programming book or tutorial?

Hello community,

is there any book or tutorial for embedded PowerPC programming in c? I have some theoretical knowledge to embedded systems, but I would like to read something in the style of "An Embedded Systems Primer", but specific for PowerPC. Is there maybe any sample project? I will probably get an embedded PowerPC SW project. I am not sure if there is an RTOS involved. The manager just told me that they have tried Linux, but this wasn't possible because of the timing (500 micro seconds). Does that sound feasible? I don't expect the project to be too complex in terms of amount of tasks. I guess it is more kind of lowlevel (interrupts, drivers and so on). Is it even feasible to do PowerPC programming without an RTOS? Is there RTOS for PowerPC that fulfills the 500 micro second timing. I know that it is very vague, but I just want to get some basic embedded PowerPC programming knowledge. And probably there is a book in the style of "Programming Embedded Systems in C and C++" by Michael Barr, but for PowerPC (not for Intel's 80188).

Thanks very much

Best regards

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Eble

You should be able to handle 500 microseconds interrupts with RTOSs like VxWorks.

For PowerPC specific programming, you are should look for a book about low level programming on the PowerPC.

You can find information about embedded software development at:

-- EventStudio System Designer 2.5 -

Sequence Diagram Based Real-time and Embedded System Design Tool

Reply to
EventHelix.com

Hello,

thanks very much for your answer.

I will check that out. I need a list of RTOSes for PowerPC. The creteria will be interrupt latency, price, support and probably availability of source code. I don*t think it*s a good idea for a beginner like me to try to port an RTOS. I have read several articles about adopting Linux to the specific hardware. It is not the task to begin with.

Yes, it is exactly such a book I am trying to find. It doesn*t seem to be existent, though ;( For example, "The Powerpc Architecture: A Specification for a New Family of Risc Processors" is more like a User's Manual. Likewise "Power and Power PC". Most of the books I have found are probably too hardware oriented for me. And they are quite outdated! They are from

1994. And they don't seem to be targeted for embedded development.

Maybe I will try to join a (online?) training course for embedded PowerPC development. It would certainly be nice if there is a small sample project in the Web, probably with an evaluation board.

Thanks for your Website, it's valuable. But it seems to me more for design (patterns,..) then for implementation (or with practicle examples).

Best regards

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Eble

32 or 64 bit PowerPC ?

If it's 32 bit, have a look at the large range of material on the Freescale website. For example:

The Programming Environments Manual located at:

If you are looking for 64 bit material have a look on IBM's website; I think I've seen 64 bit PowerPC manuals on there in the past.

A (very long) link to the PowerPC Documentation section of Freescale's website:

If you have problems with this link goto:

> 32-Bit Embedded Processors > PowerPC Processor then select Documentation.

Simon.

Scientific Theory: A testable hypothesis that is supported by a body of evidence
Reply to
Simon Clubley

Hi Simon,

thanks for your links. There is really a lot of information there.

I will check it out.

I am almost sure that it is a 32bit PowerPC system I will be dealing with.

Still, what I miss is, among others, an overview the 32bit variants that are commonly used *today* in embedded development, of what RTOSes are available for them, what Evaluation boards exist, what c Compilers/IDEs exist, what peripherials exist and 'play well' with PowerPC and so on. Well, this wouldn't matter if there was *one* sample project, say XXXX PowerPC development with VxWorks that mentioned the specific quirks of PowerPCs.

I feel that IBM and Motorola have sometimes different views about 'PowerPC'. Also, as I 've already written, most books are from the launche period (1994), and the PowerPC doesn't seem to be developed for embedded development in the first time.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Eble

Post your question in comp.sys.powerpc.tech, and see what the regulars there can tell.

Reply to
Rob Windgassen

If you will be using one of the MPC500 range, check out the following webpage.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sinclair

Hi Rob,

Good idea, I will check out the NG. Thanks very much for your hint.

Meanwhile, I know that my target is an MPC533. I have found the RM at the Freescale site. It*s more than 1000 pages, so I won*t get idle, at least. ;)

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Eble