porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core

hi all:

I am an freshman here. I get a Memec Virtex-II Pro7 FF672 development
board whih a PowerPC405 hard core and want to port linux on it. I have
no particularly requirest for real-time.

I starting search google and find a news emited in 2003
(http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9042642735.html ) , said that a company
named Mind had already achived that and I can download a demo here
http://legacy.memec.com/v2plinux/ . But after regestion  I got no
replay. So I guess it was closed. Is here anyone who get the demo?

Then I got this group and find out a thread which has the same purpose
of mine.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.embedded/browse_thread/thread/f70783158651ebe6/d15dfe842e1c02ad?q=fpga&rnum28%#d15dfe842e1c02ad

After read lots of materials I am confused whit the following question:
1. Must I use a bootloader like U-boot or Redboot for my board? I find
a artical about port linux on ML300 board here
http://www.klingauf.de/v2p/index.phtml#2004-01-17 and the author did
not mentioned he used a bootloader.

2. Before I complie the kernel must I copy the BSP file to the kernel
source tree? If yes, which files should I copy?  Here
http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/IMPACT/gsrc/hardwarelab/docs/kernel-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.5
said I should copy them.

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core

 I've just installed Montavista Linux on Memec VirtexIIPro FF1152
board. And I had the same question that you have now. In case of ML300
board, it use SystemACE module to configure HW and SW. So it doesn't
use general BootLoader like U-boot.  If your board has SystemACE module
linux can be easily installed on your board.

 If there is no SystemACE module in your board, you could configure HW
and download SW(linux kernel) with JTAG download cable.

 Yes, You ought to copy BSP file to your kernel source tree to make the
kernel fit your own board. Follow the instructions detailed
in the document of url below:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml310/current/reference_designs/base/linux/ml310_base_linux_bsp_proj_creation.pdf

 You can have more documents in Xilinx website.

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.embedded/browse_thread/thread/f70783158651ebe6/d15dfe842e1c02ad?q=fpga&rnum28%#d15dfe842e1c02ad

Links below may help

Alex

From the microblaze uclinux list
microblaze-uclinux mailing list
snipped-for-privacy@itee.uq.edu.au
Project Home Page : http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux
Mailing List Archive :
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~listarch/microblaze-uclinux /
(email addresses deleted)

In thread titled "New Digilentinc board" back in April this year.
OP was myself.

 Paul Hartke wrote:
Or http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/IMPACT/gsrc/hardwarelab/docs/kernel-HOWTO.html

I've already used these helpful references to get a Linux kernel running on
the PowerPC405 on the Digilent XUP-V2Pro board.  I'm new to ucLinux but it
doesn't appear to be much more complicated than the ucLinux steps.

Paul

Quoting Schunke Jan-Hendrik :
  Hi Aurash, hi John,

We are working with the PPC on virtex2p. You do not need Monta Vista
Linux.
All you need is denx eldk: http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDK
And the penguin ppc linux distribution:
http://www.penguinppc.org/kernel/#developers
(we are using the 2.4 Kernel)
To get started: http://www.klingauf.de/v2p/index.phtml might be helpful.

On the other hand we are also using uClinux on spartan3.
It is really a question of what hardware you have and what you want to do
;-)

Have Fun

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core

Except that a MicroBlaze soft processor core is not a PowerPC.

--
Dan Henry

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core
Dan,

Since when do folks stick to the discussion topics related to the
"official" subject?  :-)

Seriously, those threads indeed dealt with running linux on the PowerPC
inside Xilinx FPGAs.  Another thread that's useful:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/msg/7341815c1dec8be9

Paul

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core

Paul,

Are you suggesting that:

    PowerPC 405 Linux runs on a MicroBlaze?

or

    MicroBlaze ucLinux run on a PowerPC 405?

--
Dan Henry

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core
Perhaps we should slice this differently.  There is MMU Linux--what most
folks think of as linux--that runs on all sort of processors with an MMU
including all modern PowerPCs.  That runs just fine on the PowerPC
inside
the Xilinx FPGAs.  It does not run on Microblaze since there is no MMU
for
MB at this point in time.

Then there is MMU-less Linux--often called uclinux.  This can run on
processors with or without an MMU.  A very common usemodel is Microblaze
uclinux but folks have run uclinux on the PowerPC for various reasons.

Bottom line--Linux is well supported for both Microblaze and the PowerPC
in
Xilinx FPGAs.

Paul

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core

Ah, that's better now, qualifying it exactly the way I know it to be.
Explicitness, in the case of these mixed PowerPC and MicroBlaze
threads, is beneficial IMHO.

--
Dan Henry

Re: porting linux to memec Virtex-II Pro board with PowerPC405 hard core
Hi Alex,
I am new to xilinx platform.
my question is :
can i use the following to port linux on ML403 xilinx board (ppc405
core)?

http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDK
http://www.penguinppc.org/kernel/#developers

Kindly suggest