Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz?

Can anyone recommend any books/web resources on embedded linux -- how the various kernels/configurations differ, general architectural principles, how to get RTOS-like behavior, etc?

thanks

morgan

Reply to
Morgan Venable

Sure, here are two books that have benefitted me:

The Linux TCP/IP Stack : Networking for Embedded Systems by Thomas Herbert

and

Linux Kernel Development 2nd Edition by Robert Love

A good link:

Geo

Building embedded linux systems by Karim Yaghmour,oreilly pubs is an excelent book for embedded linux.

regards sundar

Reply to
svsundar81

Building Embedded Linux Systems:

Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition:

O'Reilly has made this available for free online here:

The O'Reilly books are IMO much better than other embedded linux books you might encounter.

If you are using PowerPC, u-boot is a great boot loader:

Real-time extensions:

LinuxDevices.com has articles on various topics relating to embedded linux:

For example, see

Gregg

Reply to
GB

I forgot to mention another resource that may or may not be useful depending on your target processor:

This allows you to build cross-development version of the gcc tools, and a root file system based either on glibc or the smaller uclibc. It allows you to build the full gnu utilities or smaller busybox-based versions of them.

Gregg

Reply to
GB