Embedded application on PS3, dev questions

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me about developing for
the Cell BE on the PlayStation 3?

My big question is: If I install FC5 PPC (or some other Linux distro),
what will I need to add in order to be able to build a program that
accesses the SPEs; is there a walkthrough on this?

Secondarily: Is anyone aware of a USB audio input device that will
work nicely with the PPC Linux kernel?

Google finds roughly ten zillion pages of people gushing about how
they can see a Gnome desktop on their PS3, but not much in the way of
useful content.

My intended application is not very challenging: it's simply to take a
44.1kHz audio signal input and use one of the SPEs to run a 512-bin
FFT and display the spectrum onscreen.

Re: Embedded application on PS3, dev questions

I recently bookmarked this, which seemed useful
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-linuxps3-1 /

 "how to install Linux on the PS3, and how to get started
  developing for the Cell BE processor on the PS3"

Disclaimer: I never programmed a PS3.

  Francois Grieu

Re: Embedded application on PS3, dev questions

Sounds like an good project - the Cell is an interesting beast. Is FC5
your usual choice of distro or are there specific reasons why you've
gone for this one?

Site Timeline