indie linux games on PS3

Would it be possible to run some kind of Linux LiveDVD on a
Playstation3, and have the DVD contain a commercial indie game?  And
not pay Sony a cent for any of it.  You wouldn't get to use the
Graphics Processing Unit, so no 3D acceleration, but you could design a
game that doesn't need it.  Or in time, I think 3D software-only
rendering using the Cell Broadband Engine would be sufficient for some
3D needs.  Are there other core capabilities of a PS3 that Sony has a
stranglehold on, if you're not a Sony SDK licensee?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Re: indie linux games on PS3
The Linux on a PS3 runs in a virtual machine (similar to VMWARE). It
can't directly access the graphic hardware and the VM only provides a
limited interface, Linux is forced to use. The interface prohibits the
hardware 3D rendering.

-Michael

Re: indie linux games on PS3

Right; thanks for the additional clarifications.  But the question
remains: could an indie ship a commercial title using these rather
limited capabilities, and pay Sony nothing?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Re: indie linux games on PS3

|> The Linux on a PS3 runs in a virtual machine (similar to VMWARE). It
|> can't directly access the graphic hardware and the VM only provides a
|> limited interface, Linux is forced to use. The interface prohibits the
|> hardware 3D rendering.
|
| Right; thanks for the additional clarifications.  But the question
| remains: could an indie ship a commercial title using these rather
| limited capabilities, and pay Sony nothing?

You mean package it in with Linux and have it run under Linux doing no
more than what Linux can do?  Presumably that would be a yes.  But such
games better be good w/o the graphics to be worthwile commercially.

I do suspect the chance of that catching the attention of Sony would be
proportional to the commercial success.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
Re: indie linux games on PS3

(similar to VMWARE). It

I think a 4X TBS ala  Civilization IV or Galactic Civilizations would
be pretty trivial to do with SW-only rendering.

If none of the SW methods are illegal, I don't think they could say
anything about it.  There are no laws against buying other Linux
software.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Re: indie linux games on PS3
Is it legal to commercially release software for a system without the
manufacturer of that system's concent?

-BigEarl

Re: indie linux games on PS3

You can certainly put whatever content you want on a disc and put it up
on store shelves.  Problem is that to get that software to run on the
system requires the inclusion of code that is copyrighted by the console
manufacturer, in which case such a (functioning) release would be a
copyright violation.

I've always been curious about how this fits in with antitrust laws, but
not curious enough to pay a lawyer.  ;)

-tom!

--

Re: indie linux games on PS3

| Is it legal to commercially release software for a system without the
| manufacturer of that system's concent?

If it's your hardware, why not?  All you're doing is setting the memory
state of _your_ hardware's memory cells with the knowledge that said
hardware will probably behave according to that state.  If the system
maker wanted you to do be able to do that, there are ways to prevent it
in most cases.

Apparently many "hardware makers" are really wanting to sell you some
kind of software, instead, and thus fear their subsidized hardware not
providing that sales revenue returns if you use something else such as
Linux.  I say, if that's what they want to do, they need to seal their
box better.

Sony does have some history in this regard, including an especially
abusive incident.

| -BigEarl
|
|> wrote:

|> |

|> |---------------------------------------/----------------------------------|
|> | Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below
|> |
|> | first name lower case at ipal.net   /   snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net
|> |

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
Re: indie linux games on PS3

   Hunt the Wumpus - the new bestseller on PS3. Or Nethack PS3. :)

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates - personal webpage http://www.visi.com/~nathan/
# Programmer at Pandemic Studios -- http://www.pandemicstudios.com /