Cramfs: bootloader configuration

Hi, I am trying to compress a 79M root file system using Cramfs intention is to put it on 64 M IDE flash. When I try to run it from the Hard disk partition 64M, the grub says 'filesystem unknown' and hence the kernel is not detected.

The present grub.conf reads kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8 ro root /dev/hda4/rfs.cramfs

Then I made hda4 an ext3 type and put the kernel along with the rfs.cramfs, the kernel is loading alright but I am getting the infamous init not found pass init = ...problem. How to make cramfs root file system. will using syslinux instead of grub help? I am missing something majorly here, please advise or point to directions any comments will be of great help. thanks, ravi.

Reply to
Ravi