filesystem - cramfs with tmpfs

   Im trying to get a cramfs working for my embedded system.
   I have built a cramfs image using mkcramfs commond.
   I have flahsed the cramfs at 0x240000 on my flash.

   my boot options are
    setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200n8 noinitrd root=/dev/mtdblock3
rootfstype=cramfs

   But when i boot the kernel its unable to find the filesystem.
   i get the message
VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on mtdblock3
(unknown-block(31,3))
VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on mtdblock3
(unknown-block(31,3))
VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on mtdblock3
(unknown-block(31,3))
VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on mtdblock3
(unknown-block(31,3))
VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on mtdblock3
(unknown-block(31,3))
VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on mtdblock3
(unknown-block(31,3))
VFS: Cannot open root device "mtdblock3" or unknown-block(31,3)

I have tested my /dev/mtdblock3 - i used nfs to mount this and checked
the filesystem contents - its wortking.

Im trying to use tmpfs with cramfs.

am i missing something?.

Regards,