Soldering TSOP/TSSOP devices

I don't have much experience with SMT and am now in a position where I have to mount a TSSOP packaged device to complete a project. I'm on a low budget (student) and have failed so far to locate a hobbyist group in my area that might show me the way.

Does anyone have any experience in soldering TSSOP packages with VERY fine lead pitch (Looks somewhere around 2.5 pins per milli)

I've heard about various methods but not sure which apply at this pitch. Some involved rolling a ball of solder along the pins whilst trying to keep surface tension. Others involve soldering across all the pins without worrying about bridging, and then using a desolder braid to lift the bridges.

I havent enough information on either of those techniques to actually put them into practice. Sounds like there is far more involved than presented.

So, can anyone relate their experiences with fine pitched SMT, particularly the lead pitch found in TSSOPs.

-What methods have you used ?

-What problems have you hit ?

-Which is the most reliable technique without resorting to rework stations.

Many many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Reply to
Gary

------------ The only need is a high powered magnifier or microscope. Then it is easy to learn to do this stuff. I use alternately, magnifier glasses with add-on flip-up lenses in front, a magnifier lamp with glasses, and a 30X binoc microscope. Then you develop your own suction, wick, and hot-pin tips for your iron. You can solder each one down, or flow and remove between and see it down to the fiberglass!

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

have

budget

that

keep

presented.

particularly

stations.

This could be one long thread, everyone develops their own ideas of the best way to do it and if it works for you then no one is qualified to say it's not right. Personally I silver soldered a copper blade with a slight curve on the face into the end of a normal soldering iron tip and I roll it over the legs with solder paste on the pins then solderwick the excess off. Watch the temperature of the chip, don't keep the iron on too long. I put a drop of water on the top of the chip, if the chip is horizontal, and that way it's easy to stop when the water drop gets small. There are literally hudreds of different wys to do it.

Reply to
Mjolinor