Can I substitute a NiMH battery for NiCd in a cordless phone?

quoting:

300mah, I think that's a typo. A NiMh pack made of the same physical size cells and having enhanced ability to be continuously slow charged without overcharging, this battery should be on the order of about 1300mah. If it's not working, do as another poster said; check the charger. There is also the possibility you received a defective battery with one shorted cell, bad joint, etc. Yes, it happens.
Reply to
JM

Alright, I'm definitely sticking with the NiCd. ;-)

Reply to
curious

:I recently bought a cordless phone, which came with a NiCd battery. In the :manual it says: : :"To reduce the risk of fire, use only 3.6V 850mAh Nickel :Cadmium (Ni-Cad) cordless telephone replacement :battery pack." : :I've heard about the dreaded "memory effect" with NiCd batteries, so I'm :interested in replacing it with a NiMH one. Someone who is selling a 3.6V :1000mAH NiMH battery on Ebay claims it works with my phone, but will it really :be safe? Wouldn't want to install a NiMH battery and have the house burn :down. My oldest cordless phone is still going strong, and I feel strongly that it has NiCads, although I'm not certain. It must be around 7-8 years old or more. I always leave the thing charging.

My other cell phones have been a different story. I have a Panasonic, that replaced (by RMA) a previous version of the same phone, and they have NiMH's. Both of these phone's manuals suggest not leaving the packs charging for maximum battery life, which is certainly a PITA. It's much easier to just leave it charging, since the base has to be plugged in regardless for the phone to work. However, in deference to that admonition I've not kept it charging but the first battery pack died in less than a year in any case. The newer one is still alive after maybe

1.5 years, but I wonder about playing this game with it. NiMH's lose their charge faster than NiCads, so I find I have to put it back on the charger after 3-4 days or so and then guess when it's fully charged - I have to look at the LCD and see if the indicator suggests a full charge, not a game I enjoy.

I'd seriously suggest just using the NiCads in this phone of yours and if and when they die, then think about replacing them, not sooner.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

NiMH's do not like trickle charge, see ..

and this is what happens in most simple devices like phones etc.

/WK

Reply to
Wolfgang Kern

I don't know where Panasonic is coming from on this, but most battery manufacturers are OK with trickle charging, indeed most of the cycle-life tests are done with a 13 to 16 hour trickle charge.

It might be that Panasonic is trying to cover up for the fact that NiMH cells _do_ have "memory" and are trying to keep people from seeing it.

Leaving the packs on a C/10 trickle charge for weeks on end will cause a voltage depression "memory" effect just like NiCads.

The oxygen recycling mechanism from NiCads works just as good or better with NiMH, trickle charging is OK.

Best regards mark

Wolfgang Kern wrote:

Mark W. Lund, PhD            ** Battery Chargers
CEO                          ** Bulk Cells and Custom Battery Packs
PowerStream Technology       ** Custom Power Supplies
140 S. Mountainway Drive     ** DC/DC Converters
Orem Utah 84058              ** Custom UPS
http://www.PowerStream.com   ** Engineering, manufacturing, consulting
Reply to
Mark W. Lund, PhD

Agreed.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

| I don't know where Panasonic is coming from on this, but most | battery manufacturers are OK with trickle charging, indeed | most of the cycle-life tests are done with a 13 to 16 hour | trickle charge. | | It might be that Panasonic is trying to cover up for the fact | that NiMH cells _do_ have "memory" and are trying to keep people | from seeing it. | | Leaving the packs on a C/10 trickle charge for weeks on end will | cause a voltage depression "memory" effect just like NiCads. | | The oxygen recycling mechanism from NiCads works just as good or | better with NiMH, trickle charging is OK.

C/10 is not a trickle charge -- it's much faster than a tricke charge.

It's a slow charge, mind you, but a trickle charge is a good deal slower.

Lots of people do seem to confuse C/10 with a trickle charge, however.

A `trickle charge' is defined as `An electric charge supplied to a storage battery at a continuous low rate to keep it fully charged' and for a NiMH cell that's probably around C/50, and for a NiCd it's even slower.

Neither NiCd nor NiMH cells like being charged at C/10 day in and day out. They may last a few months, and the NiCd cells will suffer voltage depression (which is often mistakenly called `memory') and I suspect that the NiMH cells will do, but to a lesser degree. But a few days of C/10 won't hurt it, and in fact about 20 hours of C/10 is pretty important for `forming' a NiCd or NiMH cell when it's brand new.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com
When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut.

I agree with everything you say, but a lot of people call the C/10 charge a trickle charge. Right or wrong, jargon isn't locked down.

Best regards mark

Doug McLaren wrote:

Mark W. Lund, PhD            ** Battery Chargers
CEO                          ** Bulk Cells and Custom Battery Packs
PowerStream Technology       ** Custom Power Supplies
140 S. Mountainway Drive     ** DC/DC Converters
Orem Utah 84058              ** Custom UPS
http://www.PowerStream.com   ** Engineering, manufacturing, consulting
Reply to
Mark W. Lund, PhD

quoting

ecautions.pdf

Though the ready made NiMh cardless packs are spec'd for this kind of service. They can take constant trickle charging much better than standard batteries. So as long as the OP gets one of these, he'll be ok.

There is always a trade off. The trade off with these batteries is lower capacity than standard NiMh. Just look at the capacity: The lower capacity is a dead give away, though it's still more than double than a standard NiCad pack.

Reply to
JM

It's about 2 years since I replaced the NiCd pack in my cordless phone handset with NiMH. No problems so far. The phone is one of the older types and probably about 6 years old.

--
John Savage                   (my news address is not valid for email)
Reply to