Cordless phone NiMH battery packs

There are a lot of ebay/amazon suppliers of 'no name' 3.6v NiMH battery packs for cordless phones out of China for $2-$5, but I have my doubts that these are even NiMH at all, as some I have gotten in the past haven't lasted a week.

On the other hand, Japanese brand name versions from Mouser etc or big box stores seems to be north of $20, which is almost as much as buying a phone itself.

Anyone know of a happy medium here? A lower cost source with acceptable quality?

TIA!

Reply to
2phar

Use your Dremel and put new cells in the plastic yourself.

Reply to
dave

You got me thinking.. the existing ones are 3 cells in a shrinkwrap plastic. I got some a pack of regular AAA NiMH at harborfreight for a few $ and soldered them together, reused the hookup wire off the old pack. Cheers.

Reply to
2phar

Ebay bothers you but not Harbor Freight? All their stuff comes from China too.

Reply to
stratus46

It's not so much China on ebay, as it is counterfeit China stuff. I know HF stuff is China too but it generally is at least what it claims to be, and there's a local store you can return it to if it's not.

Reply to
2phar

If you choose the right cordless phones, then they don't need special packs. The last couple of Panasonic phones I've bought have used 2 NiMH "AAA" cells. These can be ordered from suppliers like Digikey or Mouser, of decent quality, and your choice of capacity.

Tim Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz