alkaline versus NiCd or NiMH battery

I bought a cordless mouse that takes 2 AAA batteries. I found that these wear out after about 2 weeks and want to get rechargable batteries but the device says "only use Alkaline batteries" - does this mean that I cannot use rechargable NiCd or NiMH batteries? Will these batteries blow up my mouse?! :o)

Reply to
patrickpdk

I bought a cordless mouse that takes 2 AAA batteries. I found that these wear out after about 2 weeks and want to get rechargable batteries but the device says "only use Alkaline batteries" - does this mean that I cannot use rechargable NiCd or NiMH batteries? Will these batteries blow up my mouse?! :o)

Reply to
patrickpdk

It may be that the voltage from the rechargeable batteries is too low for thing. Alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts and the rechargeables you mentioned are 1.2 volts. This voltage difference is a result of the battery chemistry. Lead acid batteries are 2 volts per cell. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

No. But the rechargeable cells put out about 1.2 volts each, while the alkalines produce about 1.5. So the mouse will not work as well on the 2.4 volt total as well as it will with 3 volts.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Others have stated the lower initial voltage of NiCd & NiMH.

I was thinking of rechargeable alkalines, but even then you will be swapping out batteries often. To get maximum life from them, they must be replaced and put back on the charger before they have been deeply discharged.

*+rechargeable-alkalines+OR+rechargeable-alkaline-batteries

Reply to
JeffM

Get the NiMh's and if they don't perform well, use the batteries in something else. You can never have to many rechargeables

-Ray

Reply to
Ray