Xilinx ML461 memory board, whats the real story?

We purchased an ML461 board in Aug of 05 for $6000 from Avnet. If I follow the documention that came with the board, it has a memory test screen that led me to believe that the board is running some sort of memory test and reporting errors on the LCD. If I look at the source files the came with the board, they do not appear to be what was used to create the actual images being loaded into the board. So, for example, FPGA 4 controls all of the LCD functions, however looking at the actual code that was supplied for FPGA 4, there is no support for the LCD. The actual code for FPGA 4, for example will not even compile without errors. What is more strange is that if I look in FPGA 3 which contains the QDR controller, there appears to be only one signal that reports the errors back to FPGA 4 and it is not routed to it. So, there appears to be no way for FPGA to actually detect an error. For fun, if I load FPGA 3 with the binary for FPGA 2, FPGA 4 reports no memory errors on the LCD. Not that this proves that the design was faulted, but it does raise my suspicions. I also found some other pins defined in the source files that do not match the schematics that were supplied.

I had opened a case, spoke with two different FAEs and even tried to get our money back from Avnet. Avnet claims Xilinx will support the board and the last message from them provided me an inside contact at Xilinx who was supposed to know this board and be able to help. When I called him a few weeks ago he explained he was in marketing, not engineering and suggested that I open a case number with Xilinx, which I have, yet again. I have now came full circle with this board.

Does anyone here have all of the code that was used to create the images for this board?

Reply to
lecroy7200

Hi "lecroy" I checked with the designer of that board. It seems that we did not explain the purpose of that cheap little LCD display. It is not there for debugging the meory interfaces. It is mainly for displaying some cute lines at shows and conferences. That's why we do no longer support any interfaces to it.

Use CipScope for serious memory interface debugging. Here is what I learned from the designer:

" Hi Peter, The LCD panel is merely a display demo and never calls out errors in the memory interfaces. In later releases we removed this code to avoid confusion.

It would help to know exactly what this customer wants. If they just want an error reporting mechanism then they should use the latest chipscope demo files.

However, if they want LCD display with error reporting functionality then we do not have any code for that and they will have to develop it themselves.

The link to the latest chipscope demo files is below. Please ask your FAE to download it and send it to you since you might not have access to this page. The latest rtl code for memory interfaces must be downloaded from the MIG (Memory Interface Generator) tool.

End of quote. I hope this eliminates your frustration, or at least redirects it in the proper direction Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

snipped-for-privacy@chek.com wrote:

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Thanks! We did not purchase the board in April, but it was a good joke. It would have been a lot less confusing had the LCD not displayed:

MEMORY I/F TOOLKIT Freq Errors DDR 166.7MHZ 000000 ..... etc..

Or if the two technical support or two FAEs I spoke with would have known or been able to find out anything out about the board.

After not being able to build all the images, I set the board aside due to the poor documentation and lack of support. I will check the link you provided and see if these projects can actually be built. Not all the files that the FAEs had sent in the past would.

Thanks again for taking the time to dig into this!

Peter Alfke wrote:

Reply to
lecroy7200

Peter, You were right, I had to go thru the FAE to get the files. I received them today and started comparing them with what was on the original CD included with the board. There appears to be a few extra files on the CD, but most of the files seem the same. If I load FPGA 4 into ISE 7, it still errors out in the mapper. I had tried to build this with version 6 last summer as well when we first purchased the board.

Is there an inside verion of the projects for all four FPGAs that will build without errors and work(exorcise the memory) or was this similar to the LCD display / memory test?

Reply to
lecroy7200