Xilinx 5.2 and EDK 3.2: Simulation given 'Z' ouput form tutorial design

I need help....I installed Xilinx 5.2 SP3, EDK 3.2 SP2 and ModelSim

5.7b. After running through the compxlib and vmap to setup the libraries for Modelsim, I went through the Microblaze tutorial. I completed the tutorial up to downloading the design to hardware. I skip over to the simulation section and recompiled the microblaze with the simulation.c code. When I run the behavioral simulation, the output from the microblaze is Z's. WHat am I doing wrong???

Confused, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Matt,

It sounds to me like you haven't compiled the EDK behavioral model libraries. If that's the case then check out the "Behavioral Model Libraries" section on page 5 of the "Getting Started with the EDK" document ($EDK/doc/edk_getstarted.pdf) for the instructions.

Best regards, Ryan Laity Xil> I need help....I installed Xilinx 5.2 SP3, EDK 3.2 SP2 and ModelSim

Reply to
Ryan Laity

Ryan, I ran the vmap batch file and compxlib per the instructions on page 5 of the getting started guide. The problem is still there. I went through the tutorial design (except for the programming into hardware) and the tutorial design gives me 'Z' output. Any idea why? Thanks again.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I notice you're using Modelsim. One of my leading gripes with this program, the one that must have cost me the most time overall, is that it doesn't alert you (or maybe I just have the preferences set wrong somewhere) at compile time if it can't find an ENTITY, it just continues with a "compilation successful", and you have to double click on the this success message to learn that it actually failedto find any of the files it needs to actually do anything, and then your simulation gives X's all over the place. Of course, you're geting Z's, which is weird, but I figure it might be a similar problem. That, and I wanted to gripe ;). Sorry for hijacking your thread if this is an unrelated issue...

Matt wrote: > Ryan, > I ran the vmap batch file and compxlib per the instructions on > page 5 of the getting started guide. The problem is still there. I > went through the tutorial design (except for the programming into > hardware) and the tutorial design gives me 'Z' output. Any idea why? > Thanks again. >

--
Pierre-Olivier

-- to email me directly, remove all _N0SP4M_ from my address --
Reply to
PO Laprise