What is the truth about the Virtex5 ?

I questioned the availability of the Virtex5 back in July on this group and got some responses from Xilinx people saying it was being sampled and to get a sample I needed to get an order in immediately. I did that even though the parts were not even in distributors systems and the local Xilinx reps initially were not sure what delivery would be. I did get a response back from the rep saying there was a 13 week delivery for an engineering sample which would be in late Sept. and you could not get production parts until next year. I could live with that and proceeded with my design using a V5LX50. Yesterday we got a FAX from our distributor /rep saying delivery of the engineering sample would not be until May 2007!!!. This is a full year after the part was anounced. I have seen numerous advertisements for the Virtex 5 "Shipping NOW". Does anyone know the truth behind this part ???? Are there major problems with the part?

Reply to
jeffnewcomb

Peter Alfke

Peter Alfke schrieb:

Distributors like to do that to small companies.... :-(

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Usually in these cases, the date (May 2007) has come from _somewhere_ ?

Supposing he _does_ want "a peculiar combination of package-speed-temp range" - could/would that push the date to May 2007 ?

Or, perhaps that date is the release date for non-ES silicon, slightly garbled in transit ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

My request was for -ES parts LX50 Commercial temp FF676 package. I tried to get the part that would be the most readily available. That was why I was shocked by the delivery date of the distributor.

Reply to
jeffnewcomb

jeff,

I guess I'd be shocked, too.

We have just finished early access, and are in the process of changing to general ES.

To define a few terms, early access is defined as a program where we decide exactly how many customers we are going to support, and directly support them.

To be part of early access, you need to get you FAE to request a part on your behalf, and it has to be accepted.

That part of the program generally favors the "big guys", although, we do have smaller businesses that we enagage with.

The general ES program is just that, order entry is opened, and all orders are scheduled through the "normal channels", which means that you are no longer dealing directly with Xilinx, but are working through a distributor.

Peter, and my, view of the world is a world with parts, reports of shipments, crawl charts showing dollars shipped of Virtex 5, and scehdules and plans.

That may be far different from your view, as you are just one request, among who knows how many, for general ES parts.

I apologize in advance, as I have no way to know, and no way to change what happens with the general ES Virtex 5 shipments. Yes, we have LX50,

30, 85, and 110 die, and yes, they are yielding, now. But that may have no bearing on your individual order.

We have been criticized, and properly so, for our sins and omissions of the past. If anything, Xilinx does listen, and does place procedures which are intended to prevent the kinds of problems we may have had in the past. You may at least take some pride for your calling things to our attention, as we do listen, and we do recognize that anything that we can do better at, we should do better at.

I would encourage you to email Peter, and let him know what you are requesting, and through whom. Whatever pull he has, he will be an advocate for you.

The truth is that we are rolling out V5, with a great deal more process and procedure in place to prevent the kinds of issues we have been accused of in the past. Some things will always remain outside of our control, but anything over which we do have control, we will do even better to fufill our promises.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

I appreciate the feedback from Peter and Austin and feel somewhat better knowing that there is not some big yield problem with the part. Part of this problem may be with our distributor. When I initially contacted our local rep he said I should order P/N XC5VLX50-1FF676CES through Nu Horizons in order to get sample parts which we did back in July. I was out of town Friday but was told by our purchaser today that we got a FAX from Nu Horizons late Friday with a delivery date of May

2007. I have gotten the FAX t> jeff,
Reply to
jeffnewcomb

I hope you have also been complimented on the things you have done right, when they have been right...

Such as - for exactly this sort of eventuality -

the online store.

Any chance of SMALL quantities of selected parts re-appearing there?

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Brian,

Peter is still tilting at that windmill (the on line store).

I am cheering him on.

Perhaps Peter can tell us how the on line store is progressing when he bets back from Europe.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Thanks.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Hi Austin,

Is it the online store that went off in May or June that you are talking about? the same one on the Xilinx portal and straight from Xilinx warehouse (in Singapore for example)? Is it really going to be back online? and with Virtex-4 and 5 for sale? Woh, if that's the truth, then you make my day!!! Please dont forget to put discount prices for relatively big qty too (>24)

Cheers Jacques

Aust> Brian,

Reply to
jaxato

jaxato,

I am not involved in that battle, as Peter is fighting it.

He and I both agree that not having an on line store in this day and age is unacceptable.

As soon as Peter returns from Europe, I am sure he will let us know how it is progressing (or not).

Please send all your request to Peter directly (if you haven't already). Each email helps just a little bit.

Aust> Hi Austin,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Peter I would appreciate your help ! I have sent you an e-mail.

I talked to Nu Horiz> V5LX50 have been available for several months.

Reply to
jeffnewcomb

snipped-for-privacy@nci-usa.com schrieb:

To Xilinx,

Jeff is not just talking - I have actually used products from his company. There are Xilinx FPGA inside. They are used pretty much to the maximum.

It should be defenetly of Xilinx direct interest that his future products would also have Xilinx FPGAs inside. To be competitive he needs max fabric clocking frequency, and as some Xilinx competitors have new devices out with advertized 2GBit data rates on regular IOs then waiting til May 2007 isnt really an option for Jeff.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Austin Lesea schrieb:

Austin & Peter,

it should be fairly simple to make the point for the online shop - just ask some one from the management to hire an survey where a few different entities around the world would try place orders and get confirmation and parts

and test order on

  • Spartan3E
  • Virtex-4
  • Virtex-5 the test entitities could include
1) a student from Pakistan 2) a small company in Bulgaria 3) some hobby person in UK or Germany 4) an reputable company in New Zealand 5) ?

the results of the test order survey should be enough to open the online store really quickly.

Antti

Reply to
Antti