Virtex5 Availability

Can anyone tell me the true availability of Xilinx Virtex5 Engineering samples ? I have talked to distributors who say they can't get V5 parts until next year but I keep seeing Xilinx ads for the V5 saying shipping now. Does anyone know if samples would be available in the Sept time frame and how does one go about getting a couple of parts?

Reply to
jeffnewcomb

Your first place to go is your FAE either at your distributor or if you are a large user a direct Xilinx FAE. As with any new family there is a roll out schedule and some parts may be several months away from even sampling. Do be careful of using very new parts in a design if you are on a time critical schedule as very often new parts are on longer lead times and have patchy supply than more established families. Even you are given supply assurances I would plan a fall back position so you are in the position to do something and not simply waiting for some silicon to show up. I think every vendor of FPGA silicon has suffered delays from time to time with new products so do expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when they deliver early or on time.

John Adair Enterpo> Can anyone tell me the true availability of Xilinx Virtex5 Engineering

Reply to
John Adair

We are shipping X5VLX50 and XC5VLX110 in the -CES1 speed grade and the FF676 and FF1153 packages. There will be a lead time between placing an order and getting them as we are in the limited engineering sample phase, but your distributor sales person should take your order and then get back to you with a delivery date.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Thank you for the information. We are looking to use the X5VLX50 in a FF676 package but were discouraged from designing with the Virtex 5 because there wouldn't be any parts until next year. We wouldn't go into to production with our product until next year but would need some samples in Sep. in order to debug prototypes.

Jeff Newcomb NCI

Reply to
jeffnewcomb

If you want to design with Virtex-5 and understand that the devices are engineering samples and not production devices then be insistent with your sales contact and get an official order placed. One thing is for certain, if you don't place an order you'll never get the parts.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

I will second Ed's comments,

We have 5VLX110, 5VLX85, 5VLX50, and 5VLX30 ES parts.

There are not a lot of them, as we decided that the initial early release would be much smaller than what we did with V4. We greatly reduced the number of customers we had to support for the early adoption phase. We have not yet announced the beginning of general unrestricted ES.

If you wish to get general unrestricted ES parts, you must sign up NOW. If you wish to be part of the early adoption program, I believe that is also possible.

We are being much more conservative after the V4 MGT issues. To say we are "ready" now requires a much higher level of verification, and characterization.

If you have any concerns, then wait for the unrestricted ES announcement. But you may find yourself at the end of a long line.

Austin

Ed McGettigan wrote:

Reply to
Austin Lesea