ProAsic3 (PA3)

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used, or tried to use this device yet. I have a design I did for the ProAsic+ that I converted to use the PA3 as a test. Went fairly well. Only real issue I had was that when I set the option for Designer or move flip flops to the IO cells, it did not implement them correctly. Specifically the async resets where the wrong sense. Since The device I am targeting is not in production yet so I can only simulate the back annotated design. This is where I discovered the problem so I do not know if the problem is with the simulation model or with designer.

I had a couple of problems with the Plus and notice some changes to the PA3 data sheet; primarily concerned with the JTAG TRST pin. Under the pin description section, They "recommend" the following:

"TRST Boundary Scan Reset Pin

The TRST pin functions as an active low input to asynchronously initialize (or reset) the boundary scan circuitry. There is an internal weak pull-up resistor on the TRST pin. In the operating mode, a 100 ? external pulldown resistor should be placed between TRST and GND to ensure that the chip does not switch into a different mode."

I had a power-up problem on some of the Plus device and found out that if I ground the TRST pin , the device would start working. I report this to Actel and had them evaluate the parts that exhibited the problem. There recommendation: "ground the TRST pin". Sounds to me like there is a problem with the TAP port on both the Plus and PA3 devices and the

100 ? resistor is the "patch" to fix it. I am curious if anyone else has had problems with the TRST pin.

The other problem I have had is a high programming failure rate while using the FlashPro programmer, mostly exit 11 errors. Actel was not able to helps us solve this problem. We did not press them on this since eventually we would be getting the devices programmed by our supplier and it would become a non-issue after that. The curious thing is that if a device successfully programmed the first time, it would more then likely always program successfully. I have reprogram a single device 50 to 60 times with no problem. I suspect a marginal problem with the device itself or a problem with the programming algorithm and not with my programming fixture.

It bothers me that Actel will not admit problems with their devices. Xilinx has no problem with admitting problems with devices and then publishing a work around to the problem until a permanent fix to the silicon is implemented. Why is Actel reluctant to do this. Maybe this problem with the TRST was already know to them, and if they had published an errata on this then maybe I would not have spent over a week debugging this problem.

Why do I use Actel if I am unhappy with there devices? the truth is it is the only reprogrammable FPGA that fit the application.

Would like to hear about any experiences that other people have had with the Actel Flash parts.

Thanks Dave Colson

Reply to
Dave Colson

This week the Actel FAEs came in to tell us about a problem with the pro-ASIC plus chip. It seems the flash retention rate is much lower than expected when using designer prior to 6.1 due to a load balancing issue across transistors. Unfortunately, they don't have a write-up of this problem on their website yet.

Reply to
David Stanford

I am meeting with a sales rep and FAE on these products tomorrow, opps, today. My main concern is that they are not slated to be out until Q4 although I was told possibly Q3 (meaning end of Sept). I also want to hear some real pricing instead of the "as low as xxx in quantity".

I was told that the larger parts would be out first. So if you want a $1.50 part you will need to wait until '06, I expect.

The data sheet talks about being 5 volt tolerant, but they aren't. They just do the same game of using resistors like the Virtex, etc. parts.

I don't see the pulldown on the TRST as being much of a bug myself. My experience has been that every part handles the JTAG signals in different, often incompatible ways. But if you use the spec'd pull ups or downs and use their cable the JTAG should work just like TI DSPs and Xilinx FPGAs.

I'll let you know what I find out from the FAE.

Reply to
rickman

the

Please do so!

The first part out is 600E that was known already at Electronica 2004 (that is nov 2004) hm are you saying no parts will be available til Q4 ? that would be pitty!

Most vendors dont admit silicon bugs! You need to prove their silicon is faulty then in some case with long delay they might agree yes there is a problem.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

I'm not sure, but I think, the fact that Actel has mostly highpriced devices means that the applications were the fpgas are used, are also high valued. This means that systematically failure tend to be more expensive for Actel.

I use some for prototyping and I am very satisfied with. The only wish I had are 5V IO Buffer. Unfortunately there seems to be no reprogrammable device with 5V IO and sufficient cells on market to do prototyping for Asics with 5V IO.

bye Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Stanka

PA3

had

successfully

Xilinx

would

is

the

I seem to remember that the JTAG spec requires(recommends) that TRST is optional. That is it is not require to perform any of the JTAG operations, including powering up. As far as a bug. We had 2 unexplained catastrophic field failures (parts actually were fried) of the Plus device before I was able to figure out the problem in the lab.

Some of the parts that fail to power up correct started to go into thermally run away. Eventually they would overhead and destroy themselves. It is one think if it powers up brain dead but another when it destroy itself and half of the other components on the board.

My main issue is the fact that they do not notify customer of problems with the device. I always felt like I was the only one having problems with the device, but I am not so sure now.

Reply to
Dave Colson

I don't believe that is correct. The TRST pin is optional, but it does not have to allow the part to work if not driven to the correct state, as in the JTAG cable can ignore it.

I have not looked at the programming process, but isn't there a signal to indicate a programming failure? The SRAM based parts have that.

Reply to
rickman

Here is what I found. The 600 is the first part out of the chute. It will sample by April, as in *we* can get samples then. We never got to a production date because the part does not fit my socket. The lack of

5 volt tolerance and the schedule keeps it off my board. I also did not really get much on pricing.

A thing that I found very surprising, I was told it is not really field programmable, as in by a MCU. It has to be programmed by cable because you have to supply +16 and -13.5 volts (or similar). So if the chip can take these voltages, why can't it handle 5 volts on the IOs??? Obviously they are switching high voltages without problems.

Reply to
rickman

are you sure its 600 not 600E ?

600E is supported by free tools, 600 not :)

the samples did exist in october 2004! just not for regular mortals :(

NO NO! the +16.5 -11.5 are for ProAsic+ not for PA3 ! PA3 works down to 1.5 single supply and needs 3.3 for programming

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

has

with

including

To be more precise, the default state of the pin (left unconnected) will allow the JTAG to work properly. That is you do not have connect anything to the pin in order for the JTAG to work. It is in the spec.

lab.

thermally

if it

ProAsic parts are Flash parts you only program them once, they are non-volatile, there is no "programming" on power up like the Xilinx or Altera. The device is ready to go immediately on power up.

Maybe I did not explain this well, The issue is that on power up the JTAG circuits powered up in a undetermined state which cause the boundry scan circuit to do bad things to the IOs. Causing the device to not work because it had no control over the IOs. I believe what happen on some of the parts was that the boundry scan cause contention inside the device which cause the thermal run away.

with

not

Reply to
Dave Colson

Which free tools? :-)

-Toby.

--
 [100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
Reply to

actels tools (free versions) support the smallest of each family

600E is smalles of PA3E :) for the non-E only the very small are supported by the free stuff well actually nothing is supported as the current Libero/Designer that has PA3 support as advertized doesnt actually generate programming files for any of the PA3 at all, so nothing is supported that both for free tools users as for paid licensees

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

The problem you reported on the I/O register clear polarity is a real problem in the Designer software (Thank you for pointing it out) and will be fixed in the next service pack of the software.

Reply to
limours