spartan FPGA with PLCC package

Hi, is any spartan FPGA is in PLCC package?also its availabilty ? I want to use spartan series FPGA & not the any other spartan seris like spartan 2e etc. which sprom should be used?

Reply to
kulkarku

I've got some Spartan XL chips in PLCC somewhere. They are probably still available from Farnell, as well as the configuration devices.

Leon.

Reply to
Leon

i want to design the prototype board for spartan series FPGA which is least costly,for master serial mode of configuration i want to use PROM.I am looking for some through hole component like PLCC84 pin & PLCC 20 pin package.can u suggest me some.

Reply to
kulkarku

PLCC stands for Plastic Leadless Chip Carrier, so it is NOT through-hole. But there are sockets that can convert PLCC to through-hole. Don't expect any modern devices in this package. Too big and too few pins for today's designs. The world changes, not always in the direction one likes... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Least costly: Buy a development board for $99.

Alternative for "your own" stuff: Use a new FPGA - Xilinx Spartan3(E?), Altera Cyclone-II, or Lattice ECP(2?) - in a TQFP package (still solderable by hand). It's not through-hole but it's doable. Good through hole support is mostly a memory.

And don't force everything to be 5V.

Reply to
John_H

PLCC stands for Plastic *Leaded* Chip Carrier. It has J-leads, like an SOJ, but around a square package rather than down two parallel sides.

True.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Sorry, you are right, of course. Really ambarrassing... But it does not change the fact that they are NOT through-hole. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

The PLCC Spartan/SpartanXL is NOT going to be the least costly.

Xilinx no longer supports them. To synthesize, you'll need FPGA Express, and the last time I checked, it ran about $15,000.00 - 15K will buy a lot of time at your local stuffing house.

"If it ain't supported in a current web-pack, don't use it."

Reply to
ghelbig

Hi,

I thought > The PLCC Spartan/SpartanXL is NOT going to be the least costly.

Reply to
Satoru Uzawa
Reply to
Stephen Williams