Crystal Input to FPGA

Hi, I want to interface a crystal to a Xilinx FPGA. Earlier Xilinx FPGA devices like XC2000 series had crystal input provision which is not there in Spartan 30K gate device which I am using for my design. I want to know how to build an oscillator circuit (amplifier) for the crystal in FPGA. Any references?

Regards, Nagaraj

Reply to
Nagaraj

Don't mess around. Buy a packaged oscillator. The price of the oscillator is about three orders of magnitude lower than the value of the headaches you will get from not using one.

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223                    mail: jonathan.bromley@doulos.com
Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573                           Web: http://www.doulos.com

Jonathan Bromley

Don't do it! In XC3000 we had a single-stage amplifier between two pins, and that worked kind of ok with most crystals. But there were problems with very low frequencies (like 32 kHz) and some overtone designs. We (i.e.I) got dragged into many complicated analog discussions, so we never offered such a circuit again. If you implement an inverter from one input pin to an output pin, you actually have more than half a dozen stages cascaded (that's the way we build our input and output buffers) and that is not a healthy arrangement for a reliable oscillator that always starts and never goes into spurious odcillations. It might work in the lab, but is not good for production. Buy a complete oscillator can. You can buy them retail for

Reply to
Peter Alfke

mmm many people are paranoid about xtal oscillators it seems. Still I agree the small integrated DIL ones are cheap and easy, but for the ones who MUST use an xtal when all shops are closed, this solution has always worked for me:

+5V | drain |---- ----------------------->| BF245 B | | | |---- | | === C |-----------0 to TTL level input | | |-------------| | | | |

--- | | | | | = | | | | |

--- | |100k | | | 1k5 |XTAL | === 2 C | | | | | -----------------------------------------0

It can drive a HCT7404 or such directly. Stability is very very good. The caps ratio is 1 to 2 C, values like 22 and 44 pF (2 22 in parallel) I use.

If the drawing looks distorted use a fixed spacing font perhaps. I have uses this at 20MHz, 8.8MHz, 6 MHz, 100kHz, etc... Always works. Decauple the +5. The output looks like a sine wave, bit flatted, but very clean. If you want total separation, you can use a drain resistor and take the signal from there. Add a varicap with a small series cap parallel to the XTAL to make a voltage controlled oscillator for a PLL etc.. (For example color subcarrier lock). JP

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Reply to
Peter Alfke

The oscillator that I used to know used three CMOS inverting gates in series with the crystal wrapped around them. Possibly some resistors, too. Usually one more gate to buffer and shape the result.

Though I remember people having a hard time sometimes with the 32kHz crystals, it worked well for everything else.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

But what is the advantage over an oscillator unless you are trying to squeze every penny out of the design? The difference between an oscillator and a crystal is less than $.50.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

(snip about a crystal oscillator for use with FPGA's)

series

Some people just don't like them, but otherwise I agree.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

I wouldn't know what there is not to like. An oscillator unit is smaller, simpler and works better than a crystal circuit you can design in just a few hours without extensive testing. If the cost difference is not an issue (such as production volumes below 10,000) I can't see how it would pay to design your own oscillator. Even with higher volume production, I bet the lower failure rate would make a self design not worth the effort.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Off the shelf oscillators for standard frequencies are one thing.

But when I was looking for custom frequencies I found manufacturers were happy to make small batch or even one-off crystals at a very respectable price; at the time, they didn't seem to be tooled up to make one-off oscillator modules - or at least they wanted much more money for the job.

Maybe this has changed in the last few years.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Fox has custom frequency oscillators availably at reasonably cost and reasonably quickly.

I expect there are others.

Hal Murray

Digi-Key carries several brands of off the shelf oscillators that they can program to your custom frequencies (qty = 1).

Daniel Lang

Reply to
Daniel Lang

--

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka