RS232 VHDL-core

Hi everyone...

I wonder if there is any simple way to send the data from a block-ram to the RS232-interface, without the need to write all the RS232 VHDL-code myself!

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Preben Holm
070302010109050402040109 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

There you go. And can we now stop requesting RS232 stuff? ;)

Jan

Reply to
jandc

Xilinx offers a very nice UART core (+ 16 bytes fifo as an option) for free - it is includded in the PicoBlaze package. You can download it and use it - it has full documentation and it is working just fine. If you do not use Xilinx I'm sure that you can google for a UART core in the web. Regards, Moti.

Reply to
Moti

Hi,

I searched the newsgroup but wasn't able to find anything!! It seems like somebody before me requested it! So thanks anyway!

Thanks, Preben

Reply to
Preben Holm

Hi Jan

jandc schrieb:

Sorry, but we can't :-)

There are still some packages missing to make it work:

In another posting on

you posted a buffer_procedures package. This package had shifting procedures with similar names to those expected in the shift_registers package. Is the shift_registers package a replacement for the buffer_procedures package?

There are also two packages that can be compiled to nicethings. (ascii_constants and ascii_functions). Are these former versions of nicethings ascii and nicethings.overloaded_std_logic_arith??

It would be nice if you could post the missing packages as well, so we can test your design.

Besides that, your RS232 core looks good and clearly coded, AND is one of the rare examples that supports RTS/CTS handshaking. I made a similar thing years ago with schematic entry. The q&d-VHDL port of that is quite unreadable and not suitable as a vhdl reference design. I would like to compare these two designs, if only I had the missing packages.

best regards Eilert Backhus

backhus_who hates spam__at__no spam wanted_isms.hs-bremen.de_where spam is deleted anyway_

Reply to
backhus

?????, 9 ????? 2005  ?., 16:33:14 UTC+2 ???????? ??? jandc ???????:

Hi Jan!

I know this might be a little too late to ask, but would you be so kind as to post here the libraries mentioned by backhus? I mean these:

Best regards, Sergiy.

Reply to
sergiy.lukin

You do realize that this thread is over 8 years old, right?

And frankly, anything that needs a package named "overloaded_std_logic_arith" would raise my suspicions about its worth.

Andy

Reply to
jonesandy