Problem with connecting higher order address lines of SDRAM to FPGA

Hi I have done a SDRAM controller design in spartan. using Micron SDRAM(128Mx32 with 4 banks).

If I access SDRAM using address lines sdr_A8 to sdr_A0, I am able to access one row 100% correct without error. My problem starts if I connect sdr_A11, sdr_A10, sdr_A9. Board hangs. I am not able to detect the board. Some how I used a tristate buffer for sdr_A10 (which is not the way to do so, but still I just gave a try) to precharge the rows, obviously I am not reading correct data from few rows since I have not connected sdr_A11 and sdr_A9. Using tirstate buffers for these llines also didn't help. I couln't trace where the problem could be. If anyone came accross such problem anywhere in your design experience (not neccessarily in SDRAM) Please help me.

Thanks Mohni.

Reply to
Amirtham

The one thing that comes to mind is that A10 has more than one function. So if you are not generating the "AutoPrecharge" function properly during Read and Write cycles, or "SelectAllBanks" function during refresh, you can run into problems. Have you tried using A9 and A11, but not A10?

HTH, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

"Have you tried using A9 and A11, but not A10?"

I have only tried all A9, A10 and A11 together and not A9,A11 seperately.

Thanks Mohni.

Reply to
Amirtham

Hi Gabor,

If I am not connecting A10 to SDRAM there is no problem, but if I connect A10 board hangs and is not even detected by the system. If anybody could help me get rid of this problem, please help.

Thanks Mohni.

Amirtham wrote:

Reply to
Amirtham

Reply to
Amirtham

Do you understand the special function of A10 for READ and WRITE commands? What is your address logic for read and write?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Thanks for your response.

I am making

1) A10 = 0 for READ and WRITE to disable AUTO-PRECHARGE since I am using burst transfer.

2) A10 = 1 for PRECHARGE command to precharge all the banks.

Thanks!!!

Ben Jacks> >

Reply to
Amirtham

I am re-posting this, since I have not got any response from anyone... If somebody can help me solve this problem.. please...

Even if I remove my SDRAM controller completely and just keep sending NOPs to SDRAM with A9, A10, A11 connected, the board hangs. so I think the problem is not with the Controller code... It is somethingelse that I might have missedout.

thanks Mohni.

Amirtham wrote:

Reply to
Amirtham